Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you voluntarily medicate your child if..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
It meant they could have a pet? One of my kids has pet allergies and we've been considering trying an allergy medication and exposing him to different animals for awhile to see if the meds help. Something like Zyrtec, Allegra, and so on.

If you would/do, can you advise me on what OTC or prescription meds help best with indoor allergies?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Every hypoallergenic breed I've read about just doesn't seem like the dog for us. Not saying we wouldn't get a Poodle if need be, but I don't like them either.

Quoting disastermind:

lol, they freak me out but some people love them.

What about a poodle, I hate them too actually but they're supposed to be good for people with allergies.

Quoting Anonymous:

Lmao, those cats are hideous. I was just looking at Sphynx cats the other day and telling my husband that I just couldn't love such an ugly cat.

Quoting disastermind:

No, I wouldn't want them on something like that constantly.

I'd get them a goldfish or a hairless cat, as ugly as those little fuckers are.

krazymom2boyz
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Why not try a Guinea pig, bird, fish or reptile?
MamaTinie
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:51 PM

If he only has a severe reaction to certian breeds sounds like his is like my DS. We have a short hair dog that doesn't sheed much. He only reacts when he is playing with her and forgots to wash his hands/arms when done. He gets hives so no meds he just gets a shower. Maybe that is an option for yours as well?

If not then google hypoallergenic dogs and see which one sounds best, will be more expensive then a shelter dog like we have due to breeding and such but worth it if your son and family want one so bad

candymandy
by New Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:53 PM

I would but we live in the country with lots of critters and me have many pets some that are older than our children. I also think this would open up other possibilities. Like being able to go to friends houses that have pets.

Advantages of Pet Ownership

Children raised with pets show many benefits. Developing positive feelings about pets can contribute to a child's self-esteem and self-confidence. Positive relationships with pets can aid in the development of trusting relationships with others. A good relationship with a pet can also help in developing non-verbal communication, compassion, and empathy. Pets can serve different purposes for children:

• They can be safe recipients of secrets and private thoughts--children often talk to their pets, like they do their stuffed animals.
  • They provide lessons about life; reproduction, birth, illnesses, accidents, death, and bereavement.
  • They can help develop responsible behavior in the children who care for them.
  • They provide a connection to nature.
  • They can teach respect for other living things.

http://www.aacap.org/AACAP/Families_and_Youth/Facts_for_Families/Facts_for_Families_Pages/Pets_And_Children_75.aspx

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:54 PM
It's so ugly! I did read that Chinese Cresteds are good for allergies though. I think maybe I should bring my son around breeds that are said to be hypoallergenic but if he still had a slight reaction to them, I'm wondering if.allergy meds would be an option.

Quoting brandydesiree:

Mobile Photo

Get a Chinese crested. My friends son has an allergy to pet dander, but their Chinese crested doesn't bother him at all.

brandydesiree
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:57 PM
My DS has seasonal allergies. He takes children's Claritin.

Quoting Anonymous:

It's so ugly! I did read that Chinese Cresteds are good for allergies though. I think maybe I should bring my son around breeds that are said to be hypoallergenic but if he still had a slight reaction to them, I'm wondering if.allergy meds would be an option.

Quoting brandydesiree:

Mobile Photo

Get a Chinese crested. My friends son has an allergy to pet dander, but their Chinese crested doesn't bother him at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:57 PM
This is how we feel too. The weird thing is, he used to be fine around cats from birth to about age 4 and then when he was no longer around them all the time and went for spans of time away from them (we moved out) he developed the allergies so I'm wondering if he just needs gradual exposure again.

Quoting lyranightshade:

I absolutely would. I really believe pets enrich a family's life and I can't imagine a place could be a home without a pet you interact with.

I'd talk to an allergist and look into hypoallergenic breeds. Thrr labradoodle or golden doodle are great with kids and don't aggrivate allergies but can be pricey if you get one from a reputable place.

KenneMaw
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:57 PM

Please visit an allergy doctor.   A friend's daughter is allergic to pet dander, plus a few other things, and she gets allergy shots.  They really help.   Please make sure the child is OK before getting a new pet.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:58 PM
How well does it work? Side effects? Expensive?

Quoting brandydesiree:My DS has seasonal allergies. He takes children's Claritin.

Quoting Anonymous:It's so ugly! I did read that Chinese Cresteds are good for allergies though. I think maybe I should bring my son around breeds that are said to be hypoallergenic but if he still had a slight reaction to them, I'm wondering if.allergy meds would be an option.

Quoting brandydesiree:Get a Chinese crested. My friends son has an allergy to pet dander, but their Chinese crested doesn't bother him at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Absolutely not! You know you can detox the allergy...true story! My son was allergic to cats, his allergist MADE a detox "potion" for him. She is a hollistic allergist & FIXED his allergy rather than just pitting a "bandaid" over it & pretending it was gone! She also detoxed his seasonal allergies as well. His season allergies were cured by a special diet for ONE YEAR! Now he is completely allergy free!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)