Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you voluntarily medicate your child if..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
It meant they could have a pet? One of my kids has pet allergies and we've been considering trying an allergy medication and exposing him to different animals for awhile to see if the meds help. Something like Zyrtec, Allegra, and so on.

If you would/do, can you advise me on what OTC or prescription meds help best with indoor allergies?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Replies (41-50):
alexsmomma06
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:00 PM

No. A pet is a luxury. I would never force a chemical substance into my child's body that wasn't necessary.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Been there, done that. He wants a "real" pet. He wants a dog to take for walks and to be a part of the family or a cat to cuddle with. Not something that sits in a cage and does nothing.


Quoting krazymom2boyz:

Why not try a Guinea pig, bird, fish or reptile?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:01 PM

I would never ever ever give my kids medicine every day! I have a 8 year old, 6 year old, 3 year old & a 8 month old...only ONE OF MY KIDS have ever been on an antibiotic...other than that we use homeopathic remedies for everything else!

MomOf3AngelBabe
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

This. ;) Lots of kids have allergies and there are simple fixes. There are also SOME allergy meds that are not harmful in ANY way. ;) 

Quoting vegaswife2011:

No. I'd take them to the allergy dr and go from there. 


Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Hmm..tell me more about this. We did try the laser allergy treatments ($700) and they didn't work.


Quoting Anonymous:

Absolutely not! You know you can detox the allergy...true story! My son was allergic to cats, his allergist MADE a detox "potion" for him. She is a hollistic allergist & FIXED his allergy rather than just pitting a "bandaid" over it & pretending it was gone! She also detoxed his seasonal allergies as well. His season allergies were cured by a special diet for ONE YEAR! Now he is completely allergy free!!!


BEXi
by BEXi on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:02 PM

When my older son was younger, his eyes would get really watery and would swell up after being around peoples pets, dogs mainly. Within the past year or two, his allergy has gotten a lot less severe. If he does have a reaction, it's very mild and tolerable without the medication.


We got a puppy a month ago, and he only had to use the medicine once and that was the day after we got him. He hasnt had a reaction since.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:03 PM
May I ask what? Side effects? Does it work well?


Quoting NeverTooMany:

We get a scrip for allergy meds for the kids.


MyStarLight
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:04 PM
I like those cats
they are so cute and feel warm


Quoting Anonymous:

Lmao, those cats are hideous. I was just looking at Sphynx cats the other day and telling my husband that I just couldn't love such an ugly cat.




Quoting disastermind:

No, I wouldn't want them on something like that constantly.

I'd get them a goldfish or a hairless cat, as ugly as those little fuckers are.



LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:04 PM

I would take the kid to the doctor and see what they reccommend. My DD takes Zyrtec every day. She hasnt died from the horrible poison yet. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 5, 2013 at 6:05 PM
That's what we're hoping would happen IF we do get one. He never used to be allergic until we moved out and he wasn't around cats/dogs every day. That's when the allergies came along, after he was no.longer exposed regularly.


Quoting BEXi:

When my older son was younger, his eyes would get really watery and would swell up after being around peoples pets, dogs mainly. Within the past year or two, his allergy has gotten a lot less severe. If he does have a reaction, it's very mild and tolerable without the medication.


We got a puppy a month ago, and he only had to use the medicine once and that was the day after we got him. He hasnt had a reaction since.


Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)