Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is the big deal about a male daycare worker or homosexual male daycare worker? 0_o

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 71 Replies
So I am going back to work in a month and I have been looking around for a GREAT daycare for my two boys, 4 and 3. I went to several before going to "Josh's Learning Steps Daycare", I loved this daycare. He seems to be a great guy, also homosexual (his husband brought him lunch that's how I know), he has seven (adopted) of his own kids also! I checked this place out very well and it all seems great however when I told my DH, a few friends and some family about it they went crazy. After they asked how it went I told them about Josh and how his husband was so nice as well, they all said a man shouldn't be working in daycare and that they would feel uncomfortable for a "gay man to watch the boys" >_<. What is the big deal? Would this deter you in any way?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:48 PM
Not in the least, I actively sought out a child care with male employees and dh supported it
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

i wouldnt care if hes gay but i would not want a man helping my daughter with toileting , and neither would she, im a single mom and it would freak my daughter out for a man to be down there, even if there was nothing improper going on

reaandiziesmama
by Platinum Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Because people in general suck and are judge mental. I would LOVE if we had a male ran daycare here, or heck even male elementary teachers. I think it is a great role model for boys that it's ok not to follow traditional gender roles in career choices and to do what you are good at and love.

kristiansmommy1
by Amanda on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Ds first daycare had a male teacher, my mom said it was weird but the owner explained to me they like to hire atleast one male for the kids to have a male figure since where I live quite a few don't have that. Idk, I don't see a big deal with it
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM
No as long as they are professional and don't abuse /molest kids
tardistraveller
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM
leakymommy2
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:51 PM
Not if I got a good vibe from them. Its all about the person, not the gender. With that said, in my experience women are better at caring for children for the most part.
ninjakids
by Christina on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:52 PM
I wish males would enter the ece programs and get hires at daycares here. I have never once saw one and think its a shame.
cathexis
by Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:52 PM

I work for a family childcare/preschool. The owners husband works with her. He is amazing with the kids. Many people were hesitant at first. But once them and their children get to know him, they love him. Some kids do not have positive male rolemodels and this gives them the chance to interact and learn from one.

leakymommy2
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 9:53 PM
That's a good point. Some little girls might be uncomfortable with a male wiping them.

Quoting Anonymous:

i wouldnt care if hes gay but i would not want a man helping my daughter with toileting , and neither would she, im a single mom and it would freak my daughter out for a man to be down there, even if there was nothing improper going on

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)