Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My son's teacher is bad at communicating

Posted by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:00 AM
  • 321 Replies
My son started kindergarten this year. He loves it and so far we've been happy with the school and his teacher.

Theres only one thing: shes REALLY bad at communicating.

The school has this disciplinary system where the kids start out at expected behavior. Then they can go up on level for going above and beyond. No examples of that are given. On the other a side they can go down FIVE levels.

Level One is a "warning"
Level Two is removing them from the situation
Level Three is "relflection" and we have no idea what that is. I'm assuming they miss recess or something.
Level Four is contacting a guardian
Level Five is a visit with am administrator.

My son got level 1 the first two days of this week. The first day we asked what happened and of course his view was very one sided. The teacher didnt send home a note and he said he was the only kid to get a level.

The next day he said he couldnt remember why he got a level and there was no note from the teacher.

So I emailed her and she said "he should be able to tell you." Um okay. He should but he's not for whatever reason.

Idk. I just think its strange that they feel he acted in a way that warranted having his behavior classified as "level one" but they dont feel the need to specify what the behavior IS.

I would think they would want me to know what was going on at home so we could work on it and follow up with him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:01 AM
4 moms liked this

yeah, that's not right...if you don't get an satisfactory answers, let her know you'll be speaking to the principal

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:02 AM
8 moms liked this

so your kid wont tell you what he has done wrong and its the teachers fault, lmao

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:02 AM
Am I just being overbearing? I mean I dont want to know so I can argue it-I just want to know so we can work on it at home.

Quoting Anonymous:

yeah, that's not right...if you don't get an satisfactory answers, let her know you'll be speaking to the principal

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ladyraven16
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:03 AM
2 moms liked this
Lots of k kids get warnings the first few weeks mama. It was probably something silly like not sitting down or talking or not raising his hand. I wouldn't be worried unless he was at a higher level. My son is in first and he says lots of kids in his class have flipped cards (same idea) already and they've been in school about 12 days.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:04 AM
7 moms liked this

you deserve to know what's happeneing at school, and your son is too little to  be trusted with telling the whole story...his teacher oughta know better, and the fact she is deflecting the situation onto your 5yr old is absolutely ludicrous. 

Quoting spooky415:

Am I just being overbearing? I mean I dont want to know so I can argue it-I just want to know so we can work on it at home.

Quoting Anonymous:

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:04 AM
6 moms liked this
She wouldnt tell me either.

He's 5. He's going to give a very one sided view. I need the whole story. Its not unreasonable to ask the teacher what happened.

Quoting Anonymous:

so your kid wont tell you what he has done wrong and its the teachers fault, lmao

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Maxi_Maxi
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:04 AM
We only get notified if its something major. I don't like it either so I email a lot.
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:05 AM
I thought it was very strange.

Quoting Anonymous:

you deserve to know what's happeneing at school, and your son is too little to  be trusted with telling the whole story...his teacher oughta know better, and the fact she is deflecting the situation onto your 5yr old is absolutely ludicrous. 

Quoting spooky415:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:05 AM
2 moms liked this

she has many children to watch, she can not spend everyday writing notes to you because your son wont behave.

Quoting spooky415:

She wouldnt tell me either.

He's 5. He's going to give a very one sided view. I need the whole story. Its not unreasonable to ask the teacher what happened.

Quoting Anonymous:

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 8:06 AM
2 moms liked this
My thing is things CAN escalate and I want to be aware of it so we can handle it from the beginning. I would have thought teachers LIKED parents that want to follow up when their kid gets in trouble.

Quoting Maxi_Maxi:

We only get notified if its something major. I don't like it either so I email a lot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN