Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

It says "rsvp to ..." for a reason! Update!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

My sister and best friend are throwing me a baby shower. It was SUPPOSED to be a suprise...but apparently people in the south are total dumbasses. The invitation said it was a SURPRISE baby shower and to RSVP to my sister or my best friend by a certain date. Well my cousin told me she's coming to my shower. I said what shower? She said your baby shower, I lost the invite so I don't know the phone number. Oh. Well I didn't know I was even having a shower. 

So the secret got out and I know. No big deal I am so excited and thankful, I'm just a little bummed I didn't get a suprise lol that would of been fun. Now, the day before the shower, I've had 6 people message me all within an hour saying "hey I'll be there tomorrow, forgot to RSVP". They KNOW the people throwing the shower, they have them on FB and most have their phone #'s. Why is telling the hostess of a party so difficult? I RSVP the second I get an invite and mark it on my calender, IF I can go. 

Grrr.

So do you guys RSVP or not?

Holy Crap, this made front page! Wooooo! lol 

Update: Shower was yesterday. We had an amazing turnout, and the shower was perfect. My hostesses busted butt and made it the best thing in the world. As far as RSVP's the cousin that first ruined the surprise didn't even show up, two people who didn't RSVP came and they bought guests who weren't invited (two people I've never seen in my life). Only one person who did RSVP didn't come but I totally understand her reason. The shower was just fantastic and we had a lot of fun and got a lot of awesome things for our lil man. 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Replies (21-30):
jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:01 PM

always RSVP because it drives me equally insane when people don't!

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Oh my god I would of been so embarassed! My sister would of gotten a new one ripped into her for that. It was a great thought, just very poorly planned out.

D. Everyone is stupid 

Quoting L202M:

A. People are stupid (especially your friends)

B. Surprise parties are not so great.

The night before my wedding shower, I lost all hot water in my apt.  My best friend was at my apt that night and knew about the party the next day, but didn't tell me, so I showed up to a house full of nicely dressed people, while I looked like someone who didn't take a shower. Plus (and this is a big plus), the party was held at my sisters house where, every Sunday, I would take my laundry to her house and wash it while I hung out with her (my apt didn't have a washer/dryer). Sooooooo, Sunday was the day that I would wear my old cloths because all my favs were dirty.  So there I showed up, looking like I was going to the laundromat. I thought to myself...don't people plan surprise parties so that the honoree thinks she is going out so that she at least makes herself look decent?  Do they really want her to show up looking like she's ready to clean out the garage?

C.  Obviously, my friends/family are just as stupid.

Aslen
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:02 PM

I dunno OP, but that's how people are in The South.

No sense, no manners, no CLUE

SaraBethKY
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Yes, I always do. 

A friend of mine ruined a surprise birthday party for me. It wasn't that big of a deal, it was actually kinda funny watching her try to back track to cover up what she had said. I played dumb so she wouldn't feel bad though. I was also a few minutes late on purpose to make sure everyone was there....if I hadn't know what was going on I probably would've been the first person there haha. 

hds_02
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:03 PM
I always RSVP properly.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Oh my hostesses were PISSED. My sister actually broke down and cried. I told her it's all good, but I know she was hoping for this big reaction and whatnot. I am kinda bummed too. I have to watch SIs and make sure she doesn't spit in the person's drink lol jk

Quoting Kazoo22:

I would be pretty annoyed if I was the one throwing the party and somebody blabbed to the person who's surprise it was. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I always RSVP.  When I throw a party I barely get anyone to RSVP.  So it's always a guess of how many people will be there. 

ballerina18
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Oh my goodness. I don't see how hard it is to RSVP. Your party ideas sound fun at least =)

Yeah, I was annoyed at dd's party. Since my dd has a summer birthday we had to mail out invitations and I spent $20 on stamps alone, plus the cost of save the dates/invitations so I was VERY annoyed that I had to call ppl after spending about $45 just to invite ppl. We also did a picnic lunch for her party too so we needed to know how much food to get. Thank goodness we had enough!

Random, but there was even a woman who showed up to drop her son off at dd's party and she made the comment "Oh, is this a Birthday party? I thought it was just a summer get together. Sorry we didn't bring a present."  I wasn't annoyed that they didn't bring dd a gift, but for the woman to not know it was a b-day party when I spent time sending out invitations/save the dates saying it was a b-day party.....really lady?

LOL

Oh well, all in all dd had fun and that's what matters. Next year we will do something different though. Maybe just take her to see family or travel somewhere.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have to do this with every birthday party we have. It's irritating so I stopped sending invites to most people and only invite people I KNOW will show up. Last year we only had about 6 RSVP's and I planned for about 10-12 adults and kids including my own and DH and I. I kid you not we had FORTY people show. It was a madhouse and DH had to run out and get more food and plates, thank goodness the store is right down the street.

On another note, the year before the party was at Chuck E Cheese. We had about 20 kids that RSVP'd...only 5 showed up. Saved us money since they charge by the kid after a certain number but it was embarassing for me and disappointing for my kids. 

Quoting ballerina18:

I always RSVP. I think it's rude/inconsiderate not to RSVP.

For my dd's 6th b-day party I sent out save the dates 4 weeks in advance and invitations saying to rsvp 2 weeks in advance. I only had 3 ppl who rsvp'd right away. I ended up callign everyone else like 2 or 3 days before the party to see if they were coming. =/ uggh

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM

Well, this isn't really about responding to an invite, it's about who they responded to. Technically, they did rsvp, just not to the appropriate person. I don't always respond to invites, but if it's important, and my attendance or lack of attendance would throw off planning, I do.

spunky946
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I RSVP,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)