Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you were cuddling with your kid late at night and you saw lice...

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
If you were utterly exhausted and about to slip into a deep sleep...your kid was already out...and then you saw a louse run through your kid's hair...

Would you pretend you didn't see it and go to sleep, promising yourself you'd take care of it first thing in the morning? Or would you drag your exhausted ass out of bed, get your kids up, run to the store, and work through the night cleansing their hair and sheets and everything else?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:00 PM
Replies (31-40):
MicheleJM
by Phoenix on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Probably this or if they were asleep I would gently rub it in. We have dealt with before...its a damned nuisance but it can wait until tomorrow. If it was a work day and I knew I couldnt take off then yes I might wake them up, treat them at least and change bedsheets.

Quoting Fairywings1223:

I would put olive oil in their hair and wrap hair in towel and send them to bed.

bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Wait.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:15 PM
I would have just buzzed his hair. We keep our boys' hair pretty short but I would feel sorry for my dd

Quoting wooly:

Nope, and on top of being tired. I was recovering from abdominal surgery and I had 3 kids that had to be treated. I started pulling off bedding while my dh went and got 3 boxes of the treatment and when he got home I started washing hair and picking nits. My middle son had it the worst so i saved him for last and he fell asleep crying with his head in my lap as I was still combing nits out of his hair! It was awful!

New.OrleansLady
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Why shave your head??

Quoting GreenEyePixie:

This after I balled my eyes out over the thought that I am going to have to shave my head.

Quoting amanda_n_e:

I would drag my ass out of bed and deal with it. I would freak out!
SciFiMama91
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:16 PM

We would get up and I would shave his head. I'd wash our bedding and spray down the mattress. I wouldn't sleep until I thought I got all of it. I'd also check my hair and handle it if there were any.

New.OrleansLady
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this
This, I couldn't sleep knowing there was bugs in my child's hair.

Quoting BlessedMammaof2:

I'd drag my butt out of bed and deal with it. If I didn't I'd be up itching all night just thinking about it.
MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:17 PM
That's not something I could just forget. I'd be the trying to deal with it late at night.
Quelinda2411
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Take care of it right away!! I sceeve that stuff!!
wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:18 PM

They were all pretty buzzed, but the nits were right on his scalp. Obviously he was the one that had gotten it first!

Quoting silverdawn99:

I would have just buzzed his hair. We keep our boys' hair pretty short but I would feel sorry for my dd

Quoting wooly:

Nope, and on top of being tired. I was recovering from abdominal surgery and I had 3 kids that had to be treated. I started pulling off bedding while my dh went and got 3 boxes of the treatment and when he got home I started washing hair and picking nits. My middle son had it the worst so i saved him for last and he fell asleep crying with his head in my lap as I was still combing nits out of his hair! It was awful!

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I'll add that as a child we had lice a lot.  My sister insisted on going to this one girl's house, even though EVERY TIME she went we got infected.

I remember all too often being woken up in the middle of the night, thrown in a shower with that shampoo, and then being forced to sit until the wee hours of the morning getting my thick curly hair combed.  And when I finally did get to go to bed it was on a mattress with no sheets or on sheets that were still damp.  It was painful and uncomfortable!  Not to mention, more often than not I still had to go to school the next day.

When the lice kept coming back, my stepmom coated our heads in vaseline and made us sleep on it overnight.  We missed the next 3 days of school because they couldn't get it out of our hair.  I had terrible pains from being bent over the sink while Dad poured scalding hot water on my head and attempted to wash out the vaseline.  Eventually my Dad went to the shop and got a bunch of industrial grease remover to use.  It burned on my scalp after all the previous scrubs and bleached my hair some, but it finally got the vaseline out.

Then to add insult to injury my parents made me cut my thick curly hair short, and it was AWFUL.  I was a preteen at the time and my hair did not do well short.

After enough late-night louse trauma, I decided I wouldn't put my children through that.  It can wait until morning unless THEY want it done that night.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN