Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

s/o What age should a kid be playing outside unsupervised?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 57 Replies

What about with older siblings?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:40 PM

My kids play outside in the backyard unsupervised in a privacy fenced yard with locked gates.. They are 7 & 9...

Arwynn
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:41 PM
My kids play outside together 7, 9, 11 but not alone ever.
Hoppers33
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Idk, I think mine were 6 maybe. Now, my 11yo will go out with the 2 and 4yo. We live in the middle of nowhere and our driveway is about 1/2 mile from the house though...
OneAllergicMama
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:45 PM

My kids play in the backyard unsupervised (I peek out but am generally getting dinner or lunch ready) - they are 3, 7 and 8 - alone or together.  We have a 6ft privacy fence.

My 7 and 8 yr old are allowed alone in the cul de sac - paired if they want to go further up the street but they are not allowed to turn the corner (our street has an L at one end and people tend to drive recklessly).

-Avy-
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:46 PM

DD is an only. She started around 5, but we lived in the middle of nowhere and the biggest danger to her was rattlesnakes rather than people. If it were on a busy street who knows.

She's 10 now and we live in a quiet neighborhood. She and her friends play all day every day without supervision.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:47 PM
My kids are allowed to play outside alone. They are 8 and 4. The 4 year old cannot be outside without her brother and I can easily see into the driveway or out in the backyard. Our driveway dips down from the street and flattens out at the bottom. They know they cannot go up the hill...they have to stay on the flat part. I always keep an eye on them if I am not outside with them.

Our house is also a decent ways back from the street, nicely wooded and on a quiet street. Plus with the hill there is no way of balls or anything rolling into the street. It's very nice!
davnrori
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:49 PM

My oldest will be 9 in November and she can go out and find her friends up and down the street by herself. I only ask that she take a cell phone and let me know if she changes where she says she's going to be. My 4yr old is allowed to play in the backyard with limited supervision, I can see him from every window in the living room and kitchen. My youngest can't go outside by herself, she's 2yrs, but if all 3 kids are in the backyard together, they have limited supervision.

cuppycake91
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:52 PM

If the yard was totally fenced, locked gate etc. I 'd let my 3 year old out alone, but I'd peak out often. No fence I'd say 5ish? That's depending on how trust worthy the kid is, like if you could trust them to not run off, do things they aren't supposed to etc.

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:54 PM

Depends on where you live and how your yard is. Where I live I would probably say 5/6

Maxamista
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Depends on the area you live and if its in your own yard. Also the maturity level of the older sibling and/or age of the kids. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)