Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

For those of you who spank your kids.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

At what age did you start spanking?

I'll say why after I get a page's worth of replies.

ETA: The reason I'm asking, is because I have a 14 month old and the other day my grandmother was at our house visiting. I don't remember what he did, but I gave my son a spank on the butt and my grandma FREAKED OUT on me, saying she was going to call CPS and the cops for child abuse, blah blah blah. I figured it's a good age to start spanking/disciplining because he needs to start learning right from wrong.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Fields456
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:19 PM

About the same here. And I have only truly sparked my dd(7) maybe 2 times.  

Quoting kailu1835:

Smack on the hand about 18 months, swat on the diaper about 2.

2Gs
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Hand pops for safety violations at cruising age....going towards the fireplace etc.  Swat on the thigh at around 2.  I retire the spank when communication and reason are present. 

Spanking around grandparents is af news.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:29 PM
Mine were between 3-4. When they were at an age to disobey and defy our authority and nothing else. We had a paddle and they got ONE firm swat on their buttox. They were never afraid of us as parents because discipline isn't about "I'm the boss", its about being disciplined as parents to NOT break a child spirit, but rather teach them and train them to be obedient and therefore respect authority.
If they did something such as walking toward a street, I did not spank them unless I told them to 'stop' and they kept going.
My children are now young adults and they don't even believe I ever spanked them. They remember "the paddle" but they don't remember me spanking them. I think I spanked up until they were 10 or so.
Now my oldest daughter has a 15 month old and I share with her how important it is to teach the 'positive' reaction to her daughters negative reaction. She's at such an impressionable age and simply cannot understand she is disobeying. So when she's smacked me in the face, I don't laugh because I think it's cute or funny, I show her and tell her to be 'gentle'. She doesn't smack people any longer, she just gently rubs their face.
I'm a young grandma ( early 40's) ... It's amazing to look back and realize what I didn't notice when raising my own kids... They are truly looking to their parents for loving correction at the toddler stage. There's plenty of time to enforce spanking in a productive way.
I'm a true believer in spanking, but I'd encourage you to hold off until your little one has some time to learn some positive reactions.
But, I wouldn't threaten CPS on my daughter or anyone for what you've shared.
couture-mommy
by Ruby Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:31 PM
A tap on the hand 11 mos.
Tap on the butt... 15 mos
witch45
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:31 PM

I dont know but I would swat my children when they were little and my kids were well behaved.  I dont know when I started swatting cause kids are all different.  Let Grandma watch your child and I bet she will change her mind.  Kids need discipline and if they don't get it they become out of control.  I have had parents tell me that they dont need to swat their kids and boy you can tell and yes they need it.  I had this one sitter who wouldn't even think about swatting their child because the girls would threaten to call CSD and they were horrible little girls.  One of my sons threatened to call CSD once and I handed him the phone and said go ahead and call or do you want me to dial it for you?  That took the wind out of his sail.

GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:36 PM
I cringe when people start spanking so young. Children have no impulse control and that scientifically cannot be helped. Redirection and positive enforcement at a young age is critical. I'm pro spanking and I spank my son but anything under 18 months is wrong. I don't care that you ( general) think your child is smarter than xyz. They still do not have the ability to remember or understand the spanking.
Trisi
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:39 PM
As soon as they need it. I smacked their hand when they were little, when they would do something that I felt required a spanking, I gave it. My oldest is almost 20 now, I have no idea. But he was still in diapers. Probably around a year, give or take a few months.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:35 AM
I'm not saying non-abusive spanking is bad, but 14 months sounds very young! The baby absolutely does not understand why you are hitting him. That's terrible! And yes, spanking is a form of hitting. It's stupid when people say spanking is not hitting. Do they not understand the simple dictionary definition of hitting? Spanking may be usually less harsh and have a better purpose than other hitting, but it's still a form of hitting! Sorry to go off on a tangent, but that just annoys me!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Around the time they knew what what no meant and would do it anyway
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)