Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O of drugging your child to sleep

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Parents who give their children Benadryl to fall asleep are:

Options:

crappy parents

are great, their kids, their rules

mustard seeds

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 79

View Results

What do you think about parents who give their children Benadryl for the sole purpose of making them fall asleep? Is that ok? Does it depend on the age of the child? 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Replies (11-20):
wixychixy
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Not Benadryl, but I am giving my son chamomile tea about 30 minutes an hour before bed.  Sometimes he would sleep 30 or 45 minutes and be up again with no nap during the day.

liltampa71
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:34 PM

My son has a sleep disorder, so his doctor recommeded it when he was younger.  But JUST because you want them to go to bed early, or whatever, no.

liltampa71
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Just curious - because my son also takes a prescription that makes him sleep - is it a sleep med or a med prescribed off label to help her sleep.

Quoting BobKitten13:

Considering my child could some how run on 3 hours of sleep during a 24 hour period......yep i did. Nothing you did could wear this child out. That was from 1 and a half to 3 yrs old she could do this. Doctor wanted it done as well. And at that age we all know that age group is very active. When she was 2 and a half the doc told me about melitoion (sp) and we were using that. Finally around 3 she could and would sleep at least 6 hours a night so i stopped using it. She is now 5 and a half and is on sleeping meds again. This time a prescription bc the other OTC meds dont work. She takes one pill at about 4:30pm and then another around 11:30 or 12 that night. It is for her health.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Craaappppy!

strtngovrmom
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:44 PM

i have custody of 3 grankids due to their mom doping them with cough meds n benadryl toget them to sleep. cps doesn't look kindly at that being done. w/o a dr prescription

KaylinC03
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Irresponsible is the perfect word to describe it, in my opinion.

missmamaof4
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:46 PM

I have done it when my kids are really sick.  Their pedi told me to try it.  Honestly it was the best thing for them too.  When they are so sick they cant sleep I dont see a problem with it.  

Ladybugemt
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:49 PM
It depends on the child and if the dr has said for it to be done...
There is a difference between needing to and just plain out lazy ass parents!!!! I as a child my step father made my mother do it (long story) but after moving in with my grandparent it stopped and was only done when dr said to be done
BobKitten13
by Gold Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Its not exactly a sleep med but its one that can be given to such a young child. It is .01 per pill. It starts with a c.

Quoting liltampa71:

Just curious - because my son also takes a prescription that makes him sleep - is it a sleep med or a med prescribed off label to help her sleep.

Quoting BobKitten13:

Considering my child could some how run on 3 hours of sleep during a 24 hour period......yep i did. Nothing you did could wear this child out. That was from 1 and a half to 3 yrs old she could do this. Doctor wanted it done as well. And at that age we all know that age group is very active. When she was 2 and a half the doc told me about melitoion (sp) and we were using that. Finally around 3 she could and would sleep at least 6 hours a night so i stopped using it. She is now 5 and a half and is on sleeping meds again. This time a prescription bc the other OTC meds dont work. She takes one pill at about 4:30pm and then another around 11:30 or 12 that night. It is for her health.

liltampa71
by Platinum Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Been on it!

Quoting BobKitten13:

Its not exactly a sleep med but its one that can be given to such a young child. It is .01 per pill. It starts with a c.

Quoting liltampa71:

Quoting BobKitten13:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)