Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O of drugging your child to sleep

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Parents who give their children Benadryl to fall asleep are:

Options:

crappy parents

are great, their kids, their rules

mustard seeds

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 79

View Results

What do you think about parents who give their children Benadryl for the sole purpose of making them fall asleep? Is that ok? Does it depend on the age of the child? 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:05 PM
Replies (41-44):
HistoryNutty
by Ruby Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 3:58 AM
That sucks! We also did a trial run, it was a short car trip, worked beautifully. Just not for the plane ride. D'oh! :P

Quoting jamiebell:

I did it once when i flew with my four kids alone. Didn't do anything, they were wide awake the whole flight!

Quoting HistoryNutty:

I did it once for a flight. It took her eight hours to knock out. I don't think I'll try it again.

Danapopcorn
by AbbyCat on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Fine in certain situations (Such as on an airplane or overly long car ride. Or when they're sick and in too much discomfort to fall asleep on their own.) For the heck of it on a regular basis? That's pushing it.

jamiebell
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Yes we try to go the natural route also. He does have a history of night terrors. He is almost 9 and he weighs 70 lbs. Id love any suggestions!

Quoting BobKitten13:

Does he have night mares? If not it shouldnt be a problem. It didnt have any side effects for her other than crushing it it kicked in after about 30 mins. But there is also another otc med that helps too. Its called gaba. But how old is your son and how much does he weigh? Also you can message me for more help. We try to go for natural ways to help with things and willing to help you or anyone else. The doc thinks ADHD and autistic tendencies as well.

Quoting jamiebell:

Oh hugs mama!!! Is she adhd? My ds is and has sleep issues, we have never given him anything though. We looked into melatonin but read nit ti do until the age of 10. Did she ever have side effects from it? Id love to give it to my boy but am nervous.

Quoting BobKitten13:

Considering my child could some how run on 3 hours of sleep during a 24 hour period......yep i did. Nothing you did could wear this child out. That was from 1 and a half to 3 yrs old she could do this. Doctor wanted it done as well. And at that age we all know that age group is very active. When she was 2 and a half the doc told me about melitoion (sp) and we were using that. Finally around 3 she could and would sleep at least 6 hours a night so i stopped using it. She is now 5 and a half and is on sleeping meds again. This time a prescription bc the other OTC meds dont work. She takes one pill at about 4:30pm and then another around 11:30 or 12 that night. It is for her health.

BobKitten13
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:44 PM
I would try One 5mg tablet of the melotoine just to see. But depending on the night terrors just watch. That is the biggest concern most have. The terrors sesm to be worse or more vivid and harder to wake up from. Dd never had an issue though. But i do a gaba 750 mixed with a 5mg melitione (cant spell it) and then her other med. It promotes brain functioning as well.

Quoting jamiebell:

Yes we try to go the natural route also. He does have a history of night terrors. He is almost 9 and he weighs 70 lbs. Id love any suggestions!

Quoting BobKitten13:

Does he have night mares? If not it shouldnt be a problem. It didnt have any side effects for her other than crushing it it kicked in after about 30 mins. But there is also another otc med that helps too. Its called gaba. But how old is your son and how much does he weigh? Also you can message me for more help. We try to go for natural ways to help with things and willing to help you or anyone else. The doc thinks ADHD and autistic tendencies as well.

Quoting jamiebell:

Oh hugs mama!!! Is she adhd? My ds is and has sleep issues, we have never given him anything though. We looked into melatonin but read nit ti do until the age of 10. Did she ever have side effects from it? Id love to give it to my boy but am nervous.

Quoting BobKitten13:

Considering my child could some how run on 3 hours of sleep during a 24 hour period......yep i did. Nothing you did could wear this child out. That was from 1 and a half to 3 yrs old she could do this. Doctor wanted it done as well. And at that age we all know that age group is very active. When she was 2 and a half the doc told me about melitoion (sp) and we were using that. Finally around 3 she could and would sleep at least 6 hours a night so i stopped using it. She is now 5 and a half and is on sleeping meds again. This time a prescription bc the other OTC meds dont work. She takes one pill at about 4:30pm and then another around 11:30 or 12 that night. It is for her health.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN