Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Do you think that allowing your pregnant teen to stay is the best thing to do?

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:44 AM
  • 16 Replies

I'm torn on that thought...I don't have a teen or a daughter so hopefully I don't have to deal with that decision but....for my stance, I am not sure.

I got pregnant at 17.  But I already had my diploma at 16, was on my own at the same time, was enrolled in college, and I did for myself.  If I was late on rent, I knew I'd be homeless.  My mom did not provide a safety net for me.  The most she would do was watch my son on the weekends for a few hours, I was a SAHM at first, just so me and my ex could have alone time, and that was it.  No more than that.

My cousin got pregnant 6 weeks after me (everyone thinks it was on purpose, she's that way s no surprise) and she was able to stay at home.  She was 17 also.  She was able to stay at home and her mom helped her as much as possible and so did her sister and my grandma.  But my cousin ended up on a much worse path than I did and many in my family attribute it to my aunt aiding her bad behaviour.

My cousin went on to have another baby soon after, which everyone also took care of, and now my aunt has her oldest daughter full time, my cousin is in and out of jail, like seriously, maybe not such a good thing knowing you have a safety net?

Moms with teens...whats your take?

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Canvas_says
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I would assist at arms length as nothing more than "grandma" My daughters would not be under my roof anymore but living like adults if they choose to act like adults. 

LeslieandBerlyn
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:53 AM
I dont have teens but i have two daughters and would never dream of deserting my kids, ever. idk how a mother would be willing to let their kids be homeless. . .good bad or indifferent, thats your blood. . . I suppose i get this from my hispanic half of my family. Very strong family unit, very supportive of eachother, i swear if i killed someone they would all probably help me bury the body lmao
thetrollcat
by Meow on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:55 AM

I dont think teenagers have any business having kids regardless of the safety net or not

AMRios
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I would help my daughter for sure... She would not be out on her own before 18 either... I will do whatever I can and need to for my kids..

TaughtTot
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Well every kid is different

As I said, I lived on my own since I was 16.  If I wanted to act like an adult, I get adult consequences.  There's no way I'd be where I am today, in career and in education, if I could sit at my moms house lol....I'd be sittin in my room grubbin all day if I could.  

Forcing independence on myself put me ahead of where I would be otherwise.

Now my sister....lol she on the other hand would probably fail at being on her own.  No street smarts, no self motivation.

Quoting LeslieandBerlyn:

I dont have teens but i have two daughters and would never dream of deserting my kids, ever. idk how a mother would be willing to let their kids be homeless. . .good bad or indifferent, thats your blood. . . I suppose i get this from my hispanic half of my family. Very strong family unit, very supportive of eachother, i swear if i killed someone they would all probably help me bury the body lmao

over40bride
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 12:59 AM

IDK if it's the best thing to do according to society and I don't really care what society thinks.

I would do everything I could to help my daughter if she ended up pregnant as a teen. (she is 15 now)

TaughtTot
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:01 AM

Thats besides the point.  

I'm saying would you provide a safety net for your teen or not?

Quoting thetrollcat:

I dont think teenagers have any business having kids regardless of the safety net or not

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:01 AM
I dont have teens, but I had my ds at 19 and my mom helps me still. but I am a single mom, I work 2 jobs, and I am a fulltime student. if it weren't for ny mom helping me idk what I would do, I wouldn't be able to go to school, and I couldn't afford daycare to work two jobs (he is in school while I work one job and my mom has him when I do the other) so I feel like I would be doing the bare minimum to be able to get welfare.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:02 AM
1 mom liked this
I would do what my mom did and that's help her. My mom didn't really buy a lot of things but she did watch my dd while I was in school and she watched her prom night but when I got home at 1 I quickly went and got my child out of their bed and put her in mine.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:02 AM
In my house there are too options 1) get out of my house 2) abortion. I do not support teen pregnancy. Most dont have the means to take care of them selfs and a child and im not raising your kid for you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN