Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

food stamps. i know but its not what you think!

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:11 AM
  • 69 Replies
1 mom liked this
we have been on food stamps for a long time and i mean years well for the last year we have always ended up having to buy at least 2 and a half weeks of groceries out of our pockets. SOOOO, dh and i decided to get off food stamps all together! I make everything homemade and i mean everything. Except canned food like corn,green beans,carrots,and peas. Other than ithat i make homemade beans and find different things to do with potatoes like scalloped,fried,mashed,etc, it feels so good to "stand on our own" for a chance and it feels so good to tell the casheir at the grocery store "debit" rather than "ebt"....lol..i even make homemade desserts. For example, homemade peach cobbler is a hit in my house. I have like 7 cookbooks and that is what i use to get my ideas. Plus it is much cheaper and better to cook from scratch. Not bragging just wanted to share!
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mrs.Burke11
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Congrats! Feel free to share some budget friendly recipes :)
AF2011
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Why were you on it for many years? Food stamps are there to help you for a short period of time when you're in need. I think it was about time you got off of them.
graciesnycmama
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:14 AM
That's awesome!
bradley102
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:16 AM
bump
twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:23 AM
Congratulations ;)
keisha613
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Wonderful! What's for dinner tonight?
bradley102
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:28 AM
trust me we were in need. we barely made enough to pay the necessities. my husband was the only one working and i could not work for health reasons i would rather not get in to, he had seizures and was missing work due to them. we have and have not had luxaries like cable,etc......we still have not got any luxaries. our phones are prepaid. those are the only things we have besides the norm...rent power car insurance toilet paper laundry soap,etc...... it feels so good to stand on our own now. we can still get food stamps we just choose not to? that is why we were on them for so long.

Quoting AF2011:

Why were you on it for many years? Food stamps are there to help you for a short period of time when you're in need. I think it was about time you got off of them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:59 AM
Quoting AF2011:

HA! I know a woman who's been up them for your 11 years straight and has no intentions of getting off them!
bradley102
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:03 AM
last night i made home made spanish rice and corn on the cob...it is yummy.....for spanish rice you judge how much of each ingredients u will need by how many you are cooking for. i make my instant rice(4 cups precooked) 1 large can petite diced tomatoes,1 large can tomato sauce,small onion,a green pepper but not the whole thing. you be the judge how much to use. after rice is cooked,add drained browned ground beef,tomatoes and sauce green pepper, and onion ( both of those diced into small pieces). heat all together on top of stove. cook on low setting for a while. then eat...my 7 year old twins love the stuff and one of them is a very picky eater.and he always goes back for seconds!! i do not cook with salt cause i tend to use to much. i only cook with salt when using an actual recipe. hope ya'll like it.....
kellysp6637
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Congrats!  This is great to hear!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)