Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My son has chickenpox! **ETA

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM
  • 14 Replies

And I'm hoping my other two get it, lol.

ETA: Since a lot of you are asking: No, I did not vax against chicken pox. The varicella vaccine is only 85-97% effective against all forms (mild-severe) of varicella. There is no good evidence on how long the varicella vaccine lasts but most doctors agree that it is anywhere between 10-20 years. What they don't tell you unless you ask is that adults are by far more likely to get a severe infection than children and that infants and adults have the highest rate of death from varicella.

Does chicken pox lead to shingles as an adult: Yes, it can. If you have chickenpox then the shingles virus is in your body. Does it always occur? No, it doesn't. There is no evidence that the shingles virus affects 100% of the people who have had chicken pox.

I am neither rabidly pro nor anti-vax. My children have had the MMR and DTAP but have never gotten the flu or varicella vaccines.

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Wow...
nazgor
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:39 AM
ok
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
graciesnycmama
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Ok...
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Why

KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:40 AM
I got that stuff twice growing up lol. My poor sister has also gotten shingles too. Hope it passes through your house quickly.
thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:40 AM

They probably will

jakesmom323
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Do you vax? Just curious (I'm not a Psycho advocate;) I got chicken pox reaaaaal bad when I was about 5 and now vulnerable to shingles when I get older. We talked about if kids even get it anymore and if vaxed, is it mild? Just curious what happened and your story. Don't know what to expect
LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Stock up on oatmeal baths and calamine lotion!

My sis and I both got it within like a week of either other.  Have any of yours had the chicken pox vaccine?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Glad my kids have never gotten it!! I remember having them and it sucked!!!
alexsmomaubrys2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Ugg. Poor thing. =( 

Were they vaccinated? <-- A question, not a bash. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)