Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My son has chickenpox! **ETA

Posted by   + Show Post

And I'm hoping my other two get it, lol.

ETA: Since a lot of you are asking: No, I did not vax against chicken pox. The varicella vaccine is only 85-97% effective against all forms (mild-severe) of varicella. There is no good evidence on how long the varicella vaccine lasts but most doctors agree that it is anywhere between 10-20 years. What they don't tell you unless you ask is that adults are by far more likely to get a severe infection than children and that infants and adults have the highest rate of death from varicella.

Does chicken pox lead to shingles as an adult: Yes, it can. If you have chickenpox then the shingles virus is in your body. Does it always occur? No, it doesn't. There is no evidence that the shingles virus affects 100% of the people who have had chicken pox.

I am neither rabidly pro nor anti-vax. My children have had the MMR and DTAP but have never gotten the flu or varicella vaccines.

by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Replies (11-14):
rwcw89
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:42 AM

im kinda agaisnt the chickenpox vaccine too, me and my bro had it as kids and survived. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Before the shingles thing gets out of control. Having chicken pox as a kid makes you vulnerable to shingles as an adult. NOT having chicken pox as a kid makes you vulnerable to chicken pox as an adult.

And then to shingles!

By the way there is now a vaccination for shingles-for adults.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:43 AM
I was hoping my kids got it :( DD2 had to get it. The school required it and as a Catholic school they were allowed to refuse her if she didnt get the vax. Waiting on DS to see if he gets it before he starts school.
Katt709
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Where do you live and can we come play!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)