Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Landlord problems

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

Our landlord will not fix our leaking refridgerator. It's been leaking since last year. They sent somene out when it first started and the answer to the problem was "oh it's just a tube loose". Okay well it must be more than that because our kitchen floor is nearly flooded. We cannot step in front of our sink or stove without standing in water that covers our feet. My bath towels have been ruined from soaking up all the water and I've had to mop 5 or 6 times a day to keep the water up. I was making breakfast this morning and I told DD to be careful because there was an excess amount of water AFTER laying a towel and mopping. I handed her her bowl of oatmeal and sent he to the table. Well, by accident, she slipped and the hot oatmeal went in her face. Thankfully she is okay but it hurt and scared her. I have also slipped several times and being 8 months pregnant that's not the best thing in the world to have happen. I have emailed and texted them repeatedly. They came out last week to do an inspection where they check all appliances, heaters, air vents, etc for issues. They SAW the water in my floor, they KNOW the refridgerator leaks, they have seen the damage that all the constant water has done to the floor (the baseboards under the sink and the floor along the sink and stove are rotting). If me or my children get hurt over this I will take action. They know, I have proof of conversations, and they have yet to do anything about it. I am just sick of it.

oh and before anyone says anything, moving isn't an option until next August.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:29 AM

bump

caelynandcody
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Make sure you document every conversation with them, preferably with email so there is a paper trail. Maybe even send certified letters. And take pictures of the damage. That way they can't try to hold you liable for the damage the water is doing.
Lennyloves
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Take your complaint, all your documents and go to court and open an essgro (sp) account. Put all your rent in it until its all fixed.
ramita
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like it has an ice maker. Get your DH, SO, brother, dad, another woman who has some arm strength to get behind there and find the water line running into the fridge and turn it off. You won't have an ice maker, but you also won't have water everywhere.
smack05
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Is it the drip pan under it
Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Move, moving is always an option, it's just not convenient!

TaralynnStewart
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:37 AM
I was going to ask if you had an ice maker too

Quoting ramita:

Sounds like it has an ice maker. Get your DH, SO, brother, dad, another woman who has some arm strength to get behind there and find the water line running into the fridge and turn it off. You won't have an ice maker, but you also won't have water everywhere.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:38 AM

So get it fixed and send them the rent minus what it cost to fix it.....If it that much of a danger why have you let it go? When you get a house this is the kind of crap you'll have to fix all the time.

baquick
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:39 AM
I would talk to the housing authority in your county and see what can be done. An escrow acct isn't a bad idea! That's horrible!
Mom-does-hair
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:39 AM
Have you checked the hookup for the ice maker? Mine came off and flooded my kitchen once. Maybe yours is loose? That seems dangerous other than just the slipping hazard. Electricity and water don't mix.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)