Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

need some opinions on a hypothetical situation

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 124 Replies

Poll

Question: please bump after you vote. which should be the higher priority?

Options:

radio

stove

other, explanation below

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 123

View Results

let's say you have a younger brother ( in his 20's). he has an ex friend. this ex friend shows up at a party that your brother is at and starts talking shit and getting in your brother's face. your brother warns him repeatedly to get out of his face. the ex friend swings at your brother and misses so your brother breaks his jaw (one hit and it's shattered). he also breaks the radio in his truck bc while he's attempting to help him back into his car (not knowing at this point that his jaw is broken) after the ex friend again tries to hit your brother.

later in the week your brother offers to replace the radio. the guy says it's $700. your brother promises to pay as soon as he has the money. to which the guy responds "can't you borrow it from your sister?" um, no. I will not be loaning my brother $700 to pay for this douche bag's radio especially since my brother owes me a new stove after he accidentally broke my glass top while I was on vacation (the week after the guys jaw and radio were broke)...and I don't have $400 to replace the glass top or $500 to buy a new one.

Additionally, the guy has already replaced the radio since he has plenty of money selling hydrocodones by the hundreds. seriously, he has a doctor that prescribes him like 1,000 a month which he sells for $5 each. the details of why he gets them, or who he sells them to, or the fact that the dr will eventually get in trouble is irrelevant to the situation so please don't focus on that. My point is simply to paint a picture that this guy has plenty of money.

now...my question is: Is my brother morally obligated to pay this guy the $700 for his radio before he replaces my stove? Or am I being a bitch for thinking the higher priority should be my stove?? should the time-line of events play into which is paid for first? especially since the guy is unwilling to take payments??

btw, yes, I know this all sounds juvenile. I cannot control the actions of others. especially when I'm nowhere around.

ETA: a few details I forgot...

1- the jaw/radio happened the week before the stove

2- the guy has family in law enforcement which is why my brother did not press charges on him or call the police

3- they had all been drinking. the story is a third party (designated driver of my brother's) account of the situation. my brother and the broken jaw guy have no memory of the altercation.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM

bump

MicheleJM
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM

You need a 'stay the hell out of this" option.  And yes your brother broke the guy's jaw and radio.  He should suck it up and pay.  You need to stay out of it though.

Sorry didn't read it right.  If he broke your stove first he should pay for it first.  Then radio.

lnmartin1017
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:19 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't think either has a higher priority or however you want to put it. Maybe have your brother first ask for a receipt showing how much the radio actually cost. If the guy has already bought it he needs proof of how much it was. Then if the guy got one that was over and beyond what was originally there, your brother should only be responsible to replace what was there that he broke IMO. Then he could ask the guy if he could make payments to him to pay it back little by little. Say like $x every week/2wks/month whatever your brother is able to do. He would also need to find a way to keep track of how much he has paid them to be able to prove and avoid the guy causing him more issues. I would say either checks/money orders to have a paper trail of each payment. He also needs to help you fix your stove as you being able to eat/make meals definitely comes before this guy being able to listen to music. lol 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I haven't gotten in the middle of it. at all. and he intends to pay.

Quoting MicheleJM:

You need a 'stay the hell out of this" option.  And yes your brother broke the guy's jaw and radio.  He should suck it up and pay.  You need to stay out of it though.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Other: TLDR.
MicheleJM
by Ruby Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't read it correctly.  If your stove was first then he can pay it first.  I think stove has priority but he needs to pay both.

Quoting Anonymous:

I haven't gotten in the middle of it. at all. and he intends to pay.

Quoting MicheleJM:

Liastele
by Lauren on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM

If he broke the stove first, he needs to replace the stove first.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with what you are saying here. from what I understand my brother has offered a payment plan AND has asked for the receipt. the guy is unwilling to comply with either request.

Quoting lnmartin1017:

I don't think either has a higher priority or however you want to put it. Maybe have your brother first ask for a receipt showing how much the radio actually cost. If the guy has already bought it he needs proof of how much it was. Then if the guy got one that was over and beyond what was originally there, your brother should only be responsible to replace what was there that he broke IMO. Then he could ask the guy if he could make payments to him to pay it back little by little. Say like $x every week/2wks/month whatever your brother is able to do. He would also need to find a way to keep track of how much he has paid them to be able to prove and avoid the guy causing him more issues. I would say either checks/money orders to have a paper trail of each payment. He also needs to help you fix your stove as you being able to eat/make meals definitely comes before this guy being able to listen to music. lol 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM
I voted stove and it's a risk stuff gets broken when ya have a party so I wouldn't even be having that convo... Your brothers on the hook for that one not you so he owes you first
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM
4 moms liked this

this is a very detailed "hypothetical situation"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)