Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Has Anyone Been In Inpatient Treatment??

Posted by   + Show Post
Naeem had 3 rages this week. One a few hrs ago and im still very numb. Im so hurt... Ive cried a lot :'(

Search my posts if you are clue less. But he sees his therapist on Wednesday so we are hoping she can put him in inpatient. Im very disgusted with myself but wondering if anyone can explain what happens in inpatient treatment?

*sigh*
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
PeacefulLotus
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Inpatient is not as scary as it sounds. Depending on the level of the facility, they keep patients seperate or in pairs in rooms that lock but have a window on the door. They get to come out and socialize and for meals, depending on their behavior, and can usually leave their doors open too. 

The facility has set structured times to work with the kids on their various issues in individual sessions and group session, and they have aids who check in with them frequenttly throughout the day. Additionally, they are medicated if necessary, but only after a treatment plan is made with the parents. 

zandhmom2
by Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I work at a mental health clinic but we don't offer inpatient treatment.  I do know that many of the children we see there in up in an impatient treatment center.  I wish I could tell you more about what it is like but I really don't know.  I wish the best for you and your child.  It's not an easy road but sometimes a very necessary one.

MamaBear2cubs
by Nikki on Sep. 7, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I was 3 times as a young teen. It was very structured and helpful for me. I would see if you can get him in through a children's hospital if you can.They aremore equipped for younger children. Good luck hun,I know that can't be an easy choice for you.

blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on Sep. 7, 2013 at 4:28 PM
NC

Naeem has medicaid

Quoting Anonymous:

What state are you in? Do you have private insurance?

Most inpatient is acute, a week maybe two to stabilize. They'll make referrals.
rachellaree20
by Rachel on Sep. 7, 2013 at 4:29 PM

I've been in a mental health inpatient treatment facility 3 different times.  The one I was in is a short-term care facility and most people are there between 3 and 7 days though it differs from patient to patient.  Basically they helped me get my meds regulated and got me stabilized and provided therapy type treatment as well.  I don't know if that helps at all, I'm sure places all do things a bit differently.

katzmeow726
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 4:29 PM

MY dh used to work on the pre-ad/adolescent unit of an inpatient long term care center.  While it will vary from place to place, it's generally this.
1) They will have a list of behaviors that they want, and a list that is discouraged. A set of negative consequences and rewards go with those lists. It is usually centered around priviledges.
2) They tend to have a pretty structured day to day schedule. A LOT of hospitals will have a form public school for kids of that age group taught in the facility.
3)  Medication IS a part of it.  But so are things like isolation rooms (generally require the permission of a therapist and head nurse though.  Where DH worked, it was not commonly used).  Staff members are generally taught conflict intervention and therapeutic restraints (if a patient is being violent or unruly).  

It sounds scary, but in MANY cases it is a huge help.  Don't feel bad about it!  You are doing what is best for your child.   

Now if it is brief stabilization, that's different.  It can range from 1-2 weeks.   Different rules, different goals...and such. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers
GreenEyePixie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 4:34 PM
I don't know much about inpatient therapy. I know what they did when I was on a suicide watch. But I do know you are doing the BEST thing for both you and Naeem. He needs serious help and inpatient might be the key. I am always gets if you need to talk. Find me on FB also. I check that multiple times a day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 7, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I'm sorry you're going through this.  It must be heart-breaking.  You are very brave for doing the right thing for your son even though it's so scary.

siennasmamma
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 4:37 PM
I imagine impatient for a child would be a bit different than for an adult. Probably not too long, maybe 2 weeks? I hope someone can give you some answers.

I know this is weighing heavily on you. Just know that you're doing the right thing. Your son will thank you for this when he's older. You will be happy and at peace with your decision when it's all said and done. Naeem will gain so many benefits from this. I just know it. You are such a strong woman. Naeem is certainly lucky to have a mom like you. Never lose hope. Good luck to both of you. ♡
lancet98
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Well it depends on the place and what their programs are.   Usually, the place the therapist would recommend,  would be a place that has a program suitable for a child his age and with his specific diagnosis...probably a place she's recommended for other clients of hers, and has gotten good comments back from the kid's parents.

Each place offering inpatient treatment varies a little bit.  

Some of them are basically like a hospital - the child goes in for med changes or adjustments, and a doctor checks on him daily, and the nurses write up any notes of any difficulties they've noticed.   There aren't a lot of scheduled activities or therapies- the children are just in for a med change.   They may be quite bored, in fact, and need some puzzles or activities to do.   At some places, the only real activity is 'ADL's' - activities of daily living like going to meals, gathering up your laundry and socializing with the other kids.   And while these might be really challenging for the child if he's really ill, and even really appropriate given where he's at, they just don't offer a whole lot more.

But not all places are like that.   A lot of them really have a full program and aren't just a hospital bed for med changes.  

They might provide occupational therapy, counseling, meetings with the parents and the kids, skills training, even a gym class.  For example there used to be a residential school for children with schizophrenia that had a really good weight lifting program (based on the finding that children with schizophrenia often have severe muscle tone problems, plus that some areas of the brain affected by the illness really seem to be benefitted by such motions). 

With adults, many hospitals have a sort of 'generic' program - the last hospital I visited an adult at, had craft classes, occupational therapy, group therapy, but it was all 'elective'.  The nurse might come up to the adult and suggest they try some of the activities, or even, that going to the activities might help them get out of the hospital sooner, but it was all up to the adults, what they wanted  to do, and many chose to do nothing.  There wasn't really anyone coordinating the care or making a cohesive, coherent plan for 'what's wrong and how do we fix it/what activities are best for this person'.   It was kind of disorganized.  But a lot of that was because with adults, they decide what they want to do - with a kid that's more up to the parent.

But as I said, the children's programs are different from adult programs, and it also varies from one place to another.  

What I'd suggest you do is ASK.   Talk to the therapist about which place she recommends and then call them and ask them what their children's program looks like!

You may also ask around, if, say, you attend a support group or go to NAMI meetings.  Parents often have VERY strong opinions about who has the best inpatient program for kids!   Their input can help a lot!

If you're in a rural area or your insurance is really stinky, you might be limited in which inpatient program you can go with.   That isn't as big a limitation as you might think.   If you get involved and ask a lot of questions, you can often get a lot accomplished as far as what services your little dude gets.

Inpatient treatment is very often 'just what the doctor ordered'.   Kids often come out of these programs with new skills and medications that better help them cope with their day to day frustrations.   Sometimes being around othr kids with the same diagnosis, does them a world of good.  

Sometimes being away from the parent is a little bit like going to summer camp - you may be lonely at first, but the camp counselors just EXPECT you to jump in the water and the other kids are doing it, so you jump in!    Too, if you have a really angry outburst, you know camp counselors treat that very, very differently than parents, they are NOT impressed, lol, and they know how to deal with it after seeing it with hundreds or thousands of kids. 

Sometimes inpatient programs really give a kid a step up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN