Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If your employer accidently deposits 100,000 instead of 1,000

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:15 PM
  • 141 Replies
Should he LEGALLY (not morally) be required to return it? If you don't should you be charged with FELONY theft?

--------------------

An American man who mistakenly received a hundredfold his salary, refuses to give the money back, and is now risking ten years in prison.
Cesar Jaime Saldivar, a 25-year-old forklift driver, could in February not believe his eyes when he saw his payslip. Adorned on the paper was the large amount of $ 99 275, while the sum of $ 992.75 was supposed to be. A big mistake of Texas Steel Conversion, the company Saldivar works.

After deduction of taxes and social security Saldivar had about $ 55,000 left on which he promptly opened a new bank account. A few days later he withdraw on two occasions a large sum of money, of 20,000 and 25,000 dollars.

When his employer got wind of the error, Saldivar was asked to give the money back. The money could be payed back through a monthly scheme.
โ€œWe have had a fifteen minutes talk with him and tried to convince him to give the money back,โ€ says the personnel department of the company. โ€œBut he feels he has done nothing wrong. He also said he no longer had a share of the money and asked for some time to think. โ€

The company then contacted the police, who arrested Saldivar on Sunday. The man had to pay a deposit of $ 10,000 and risking ten years in prison for theft.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Canvas_says
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM
4 moms liked this

Legally obligated to return it  right away, and not to have spent even a penny of it. 

lovemyirish
by Silver Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:17 PM
2 moms liked this
He knew it was a mistake. He should have returned the money.
TrouserMouse
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:18 PM
4 moms liked this
Yes. I wouldn't be able to call my employer fast enough to get it corrected.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:19 PM
He didnt earn that money and he knows it. Let him keep it and shove his ass in jail.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I think legally it is wrong, I don't think it is morally wrong.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:21 PM
I think you have to as soon as you find out cause then its like stealing isnt it?
Obviously you didnt earn all the money.
big.city.mama
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Personally I would have been to damn scared to cash that check. He knew he was wrong this is not like the grocery store cashier gave you back the wrong change that's a lot of money. He was wrong
LuvingMy3Girls
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, you should legally have to return it. On a moral level this is Ridiculous that he feels he should be allowed to keep it. He has basically screwed up his entire like for 50k which really is NOT that much money smh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuvingMy3Girls
by Platinum Member on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, you should legally have to return it. On a moral level this is Ridiculous that he feels he should be allowed to keep it. He has basically screwed up his entire like for 50k which really is NOT that much money smh
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMRios
by on Sep. 7, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I would not have been such a low life and taken the money in the 1st place... He knew it was a mistake so he should have been honest!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN