Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Mom from other countries

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies
I am curious. Can you mom's who are from other countries tell me what other countries really think about Americans? I was told by a friend that his friends from Spain said many of them view Americans as lazy, wasteful, arrogant and entitled. Is this a common view? I hope not because that doesn't describe me at all!
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 8, 2013 at 3:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grey7399
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:01 AM

What most other countries think of Americans as a whole isn't very nice.

Of course they know that "All" americans aren't the same.  but there are times I wish I had kept my dual citizenship.  Ugh this country needs help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:10 AM
I agree with you, we do need help. This country is not what it used to be. I am still proud to be American, but it doesn't mean what it used to, sadly.

Quoting grey7399:

What most other countries think of Americans as a whole isn't very nice.

Of course they know that "All" americans aren't the same.  but there are times I wish I had kept my dual citizenship.  Ugh this country needs help.

BeautifulFey
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:22 AM

You probably don't want to know what some Australian's think of America.

Misery_Stitches
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:27 AM
I know not everyone is the same, but over all, yeah, America has a bad reputation lol
thefiregoddess
by Ruby Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:33 AM

My grandmother was actually from Korea. Like straight up, Korean.

She said until the day she died, all americans are fat, lazy, dirty and stupid.

Funny, since she married my grandfather, who is the epitome of all of that.. and then some.

She formed that opinion in 1952... and kept it the rest of her life, including the 50 plus years she worked at the Military Commissary.

Mrs_Nelson
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:40 AM
1 mom liked this
I found myself defending us when I was in England and I must have said "you can't believe everything you see on tv" about 100 times. Lol but since I married a brit I am working on correcting some misconceptions but is hard when many of them are true .
LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:45 AM

I'm in India and people always ask me if the US is like the movies. I ask them to name a movie and when they do I have to sit there and explain that yes, we do have strippers, no people don't normally have sex on the side of the road, etc.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 8, 2013 at 5:48 AM
The older people in my country are thankful that the US brought money by building a base and employing a lot of people. Most young people want to visit. There is still talk about Americans being fat, and that there is Mcdonalds on every corner which isn't really far from the truth lol
If you talk to people that have lived in the US or have studied what's going on in the US, those people don't understand why there are so many poor people, why the government sells crap as food, why people go bankrupt if they get really sick, why education gets more and more expensive and why every person that enters the US is treated like a criminal! You can see that one all over the Internet and I'm pretty sure that's the biggest reason the US is considered one of the least friendliest places to visit!
I have never met a person that hates all Americans or the US.
itsm3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:00 AM

i guess if we generalize, then this is pretty much bang on.

but i know not all americans are like that.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am curious. Can you mom's who are from other countries tell me what other countries really think about Americans? I was told by a friend that his friends from Spain said many of them view Americans as lazy, wasteful, arrogant and entitled. Is this a common view? I hope not because that doesn't describe me at all!

TableforSeven
by Platinum Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 6:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Many Israelis see Americans and cold, rude, wasteful, over-medicated, and in too much of a hurry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)