Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

going out to eat/tipping

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies
For those who purposefully tip horribly, why? Are you genuinely a crappy person? Do you not know any better? Or are you that broke? As a server myself, I can let crappy tips go here and there. I have waited on people who really were not able to go out very often and were only out on this night because they had a gift card. I know these things. I know when someone feels guilty when they know they can't tip. For those people, I am ok with a crappy tip or no tip. They aren't in there stiffing me all the time. They aren't rude and running me around all night and trying to get free food. They are not loud and obnoxious and they do not make a huge mess for me to clean. I am very understanding of hard times and the need to escape once in a while.
However, the rest of you. What is your problem? Why treat your server like shit and like your own personal slave and then stiff them? Why do you feel it is ok to steal our services to you? Why do you feel it is ok to take food out of ours or our families mouths? What makes you better than us? Many of you do not consider it stealing when and IF you pay for your meal, but it is stealing. You are utilizing our services and not paying for them. You are stealing our time, our money, our groceries, our gas to get to and from work, Christmas and Birthday gifts for our childen etc etc. It is WRONG to not tip for services used. If service was horrible, that's one thing but horrible service is based on how you treat us most of the time. When you come in and interrupt as we are trying to greet you, that's rude. When we are trying to do our best to please you and you berate us, why would we try hard to appease your impossibly high expectations? Also, don't tellmus everything is fine and you enjoyednit and tell us we did a fantastic job just to complain to our manager. That's just shady. It's wrong.

Don't leave a "Jesus loves you" card as a tip. We can not pay our bills with Jesus cards. "Here electric company I made 75 dollars in Jesus money. If we pray hard enough will you keep ot on?" I'm willing to bet Jesus himself is appaulled by that. How inconsiderate. That's exactly what it is. If you are a Christian, I'm sure you work for a living . I'm also positive that you would be beyond angry if your boss handed you "Somethings are better than money" cards. It's a cop out and it's rude. You are not winning any souls for Jesus by leaving them. You are turning people away from religion by being such inconsiderate jerks.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:29 AM

If you suck I leave a sucky tip.

If you are good, I leave a good tip.

If you are excellent, I leave an excellent tip.

Your choice.

handy0318
by Ruby Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:30 AM
2 moms liked this

This! This, this, this, this, this...

Sisters in the Lord, please do NOT dishonor the name of Jesus pulling a stunt like this. 

Quote:

Don't leave a "Jesus loves you" card as a tip. We can not pay our bills with Jesus cards. "Here electric company I made 75 dollars in Jesus money. If we pray hard enough will you keep ot on?" I'm willing to bet Jesus himself is appaulled by that. How inconsiderate. That's exactly what it is. If you are a Christian, I'm sure you work for a living . I'm also positive that you would be beyond angry if your boss handed you "Somethings are better than money" cards. It's a cop out and it's rude. You are not winning any souls for Jesus by leaving them. You are turning people away from religion by being such inconsiderate jerks.

Punchyobuns
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I would only leave less than 15% if the server was rude. I hate it when you have to chase down a server or something like that, but I'd still never tip poorly.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:33 AM
Not so hard is it? Lol. I can see if I was just like "Fuck you, you are an inconvienence" and not fill your drinks, ignore you, take a wrong order, bring a wrong order, flash your husband, etc etc. But these things aren't the norm for servers ya know? We really do get spit on by assholes and it's bullshit.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

Your choice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:34 AM
THANK YOU for backing this up! Much appreciated!

Quoting handy0318:

This! This, this, this, this, this...

Sisters in the Lord, please do NOT dishonor the name of Jesus pulling a stunt like this. 

Quote:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:35 AM
1 mom liked this

It is not my job to pay your wages. If you suck, I will reflect that in your tip. Tips are not mandatory for eating out. They are expected, but not mandatory. 

If you get stiffed, chances are you took too long, fucked up the order, didn't refill often enough, or took forever bringing something out. 

LI have been a server. I refuse to tip out of pity. I tip what is earned, whether is 1% or 40%. 

caseyloo
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I think everyone should work as a server for at least a small portion of their working lives.  So many people think it's an easy job.

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I know what you mean.

Once, I had a coupon that made a meal free.. and she couldnt run my card first, and I forgot cash.

I promised i'd come back the next day (she was AWESOME) and she kind of brushed it off.

When I showed up the next day, I could tell her faith in humanity had been restored. She just beamed! (I gave her 20$ on a 40$ tab)

I dont know why shitty tippers tip so shitty. I mean sometimes its a cultural thing, as tips are considered rude in other countries (or are included) but the majority of the time, I think people are stingy.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not so hard is it? Lol. I can see if I was just like "Fuck you, you are an inconvienence" and not fill your drinks, ignore you, take a wrong order, bring a wrong order, flash your husband, etc etc. But these things aren't the norm for servers ya know? We really do get spit on by assholes and it's bullshit.

Quoting thefiregoddess:

Your choice.

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:40 AM
If you dont do your job and fill my drink, bring my napkins. If I have to ask for stuff constantly. If you are always in my face being obnoxious "are you ok" if you reach over my plate

I will tip poorly.

Other than that our usual bill is $25-$30 and we leave about $6-7 on that. I would say that is fair. Right?

I mean we are only there for 30-45 minutes.

If you are damn good we leave $10.

If you suck and do the stuff above, we leave $3-$4 possibly less. Depends how annoyed we are

Tips are earned. Remember that
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:41 AM
This isn't just about me here. I have earned a few bad tips in my life. Sometimes you just aren't on your A game. (Sick, family troubles, etc etc.) It happens and sometimes it does reflect on your job. However, that is not what I'm getting at. My point is for the people who receive great service and just treat their servers like scum. It's bull. Believe it or not, they exist. You should know if you were once a server. Pity tips aren't expected at all. And as a server I know we can be a little critical of other servers, BUT it should also be understood that we know how the game works. A long ticket time is not the servers fault. An over/undercooked meal is not the servers fault. If we carry Coke and not pepsi that is not the severs fault.

Quoting Anonymous:

It is not my job to pay your wages. If you suck, I will reflect that in your tip. Tips are not mandatory for eating out. They are expected, but not mandatory. 

If you get stiffed, chances are you took too long, fucked up the order, didn't refill often enough, or took forever bringing something out. 

LI have been a server. I refuse to tip out of pity. I tip what is earned, whether is 1% or 40%. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN