Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't want a dog! (long)

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:27 AM
  • 21 Replies

I don't want a dog -- or ANY pet at this stage in my life. I don't want the responsibility, I don't want the added mouth to feed. I just don't want it. I don't HATE animals. I don't harm them or wish any ill will towards them; nor do I have any negative or positive opinion of people who DO have animals.

My boyfriend moved in with me approximately 9-10 months ago. After he moved in, a month or so later, his brother (who is Army) found out he was being stationed in Germany. His brother and SIL had two dogs - a giant one (I don't remember the breed) and a mini pinn (sp?. The SIL was supposed to arrange for the dogs transport to Germany.
The story I was told (and supposedly my boyfriend was also told this same story)was that SIL is such a idiot that when she found out how much it cost to ship the dogs, she cancelled their (the dogs) flights and there are only so many animal transportation flights to Germany that it was just 'impossible' to reschedule. She cancelled even though they had the money to ship them.

My BF brother asked him to take the dogs. I automatically said NO to the giant dog (because once when I was left in the room alone with the giant dog, he growled at me and it scared me so No. I have two children who was way smaller than that dog. Just no) and he took that to mean that I was indifferent about the smaller dog. I told him I'd THINK about it but that I really didn't want a dog in my house, I didn't want the responsibility (something I've been upfront about the WHOLE TIME).

We never got a chance to talk about it again because next thing I know, he brings her (the dog) to our house and now we have her. The conditions were that we would somehow get the dog to BFs mom in Maine (from Texas) and SHE would take care of the dog.

I found out I was pregnant, we moved from Texas to Kansas to be near my family. I told BF to contact his brother and tell him that we'll SHIP the dog to him, he needs to send the money. He's already got two new dogs so I'm sure he isn't worried about this one. He told us that we COULDN'T ship the dog to Germany because she needed to be spayed and she isn't (and they don't want to spay her because she's purebred).

I thought, so wait, how were they going to ship the dog in the first place if she had to be spayed first??? I'm thinking his brother LIED to BF but he just won't believe it. And now I'm about to have this baby and I just don't want the dog. I told BF that I don't want the responsibility of taking care of her when he isn't there. He told me that SOMEONE has to take care of her. Apparently it's going to have to be ME -- even though I plan on going back to work a few months after the baby is born so who will watch the dog then?

I'm so angry. His brother will send messages like, "don't forget, she's still my dog" -- even though he pays for NOTHING for the dog (he was supposed to send money to BFs mom for watching the dog but hasn't offered us ANYTHING -- and BFs mom doesn't WANT the dog either). He pays for NOTHING for the dog - we had to pay a pet deposit for this dog to rent a place and he hasn't offered to repay that. I've had to buy food for the dog that I didn't want to because obviously she has to eat. I'm not cruel or mean to her. I just don't want her -- and besides that, we really just cannot AFFORD her.

I'm just so angry about it and I don't know what to do. It's making me resentful of my BF and every time I bring it up, it's a fight. Opinions? Advice?

by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CandyXo
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:30 AM

I didn't read it because it is missing paragraphs. 

I think you should get a dog and say f**k it.

lol

skittlebeans88
by Platinum Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:31 AM
1 mom liked this
Find her a good home
Blubuni99
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:33 AM

Lol, I'm sorry. I went back to fix the paragraph thing. I'm still figuring this out!

Quoting CandyXo:

lol

CandyXo
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:34 AM

Why thank you so much for adding paragraphs! 

Yeah keep the dog. Stop resenting, you are not allowing yourself to really enjoy its company. 

Quoting CandyXo:

lol

Blubuni99
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:35 AM

Anytime I MENTION finding a new home for her (with people who WANT her), BF gets all, "it's my BROTHERS DOG and this is my BROTHER! I can't do that to him!" -- I'm over his brother though. I'm pretty sure he lied to us about the whole thing and he just didn't want to ship her because he didn't want to spay her.

Quoting skittlebeans88:

Find her a good home

Sammi20
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:39 AM
2 moms liked this

Call his brother and say "Send me money by next week for the dog to be shipped or I WILL take it to the pound. I Do not want this dog and I Do not want to care for it or use My money for it's food." Maybe he will do something then? Then when it gets to next week put an add on craigslist to give the dog away and send him the link.

emmypaige
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I can't stand having pets. It's a pain. I would just tell brother to pay to ship the dog to Maine.
Blubuni99
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I like that plan, I just don't want to fight with my BF. It's his older brother and for some reason, he just holds his brother in such high esteem. My BF would be so angry with me if I did that. It's getting to the point, though, where we really can't afford her anyway and I'm just tired of having to deal with it. It might come to this or some other ultimatum.

Quoting Sammi20:

Call his brother and say "Send me money by next week for the dog to be shipped or I WILL take it to the pound. I Do not want this dog and I Do not want to care for it or use My money for it's food." Maybe he will do something then? Then when it gets to next week put an add on craigslist to give the dog away and send him the link.

Blubuni99
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:55 AM

I've mentioned shipping the dog to his mom and she doesn't seem to want the dog either. BUT at this point, I don't even CARE if she wants the dog or not. It's HER son and his dog -- not mine. 

Quoting emmypaige:

I can't stand having pets. It's a pain. I would just tell brother to pay to ship the dog to Maine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:57 AM

I don't like pets and I don't like people who ditch their pets. I'd find it a new home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)