Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Was I too harsh?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies

I missed getting my ds from the bus stop on Thus., so one of the moms brought him over and said that the bus driver needed to speak to me. I spoke to ds to see what happened and he said the driver talked to him, but not about what or why.

Getting information from my son is like pulling teeth from a chicken.

On Friday morning I talked to the driver as the children were boarding. ds and boy1 were sitting behind the driver and ds punched boy1 on his nose causing this poor kid to cry. The driver had boy1 switch seats with boy2 and then ds pulled boy2's ear.

Great, so my kid is trying to turn into a bully.

When ds got home on Friday, the bus driver said that ds behaved. So when I got him inside, we had a talk with him. We explained what he shouldn't do and if he had a problem, who to tell. Then we took all his toys and tv privileges away for Fri.-Sun.

My mother, MIL, Aunt and BIL said that we were too harsh on him and that the lecture would have been enough for a first offence. That we could have taken toys for a second and then toys and tv privileges for a third.

I disagree, I made his punishment as harsh as possible so there (hopefully) won't be another offence.

What do you ladies think? Did I do the right thing or was I too harsh? What would you have done?

* I also should mention that he is 5 almost 6, with the attention span of a gnat.*

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:34 AM
Your kid, your punishment. And, frankly, I agree with you.
hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:36 AM
3 moms liked this
That's harsh? Two whole days without tv and toys, isn't even close to harsh.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:39 AM
I would do the same, but I'd also step back and lool at myself and our life cause kids aren't generally just naturally violent and mean, it can hugely be a learned trait.
autodidact
by Snarknado on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:40 AM

Bullying is a serious offence.

It's not as understandable or forgiviable as shirking chores or stealing a cookie. Its a much more troubling behavior for them to go out of their way to hurt another. 

AngryBob
by Platinum Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:42 AM
1 mom liked this

whatever the severity of the punishment, i would like to THANK YOU SO MUCH for trying your best to stamp out bullying. i can't imagine it's easy to watch your baby act like that, but at least you're not burying your head in the sand and pretending it's not happening, like so many parents.

tell those who DIDN'T push the kid out of their vagina to piss off.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:43 AM

Plus the evening of Friday. What would you have done? I also should mention that he is 5 almost 6, with the attention span of a gnat.

Quoting hautemama83:

That's harsh? Two whole days without tv and toys, isn't even close to harsh.

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:43 AM
You are the parent. Period
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:49 AM

He probably learned it from his cousins as they love to play fight and he spends time at their house. However, they don't hurt each other or anyone else, it's all pretend and meant to be playful in nature.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would do the same, but I'd also step back and lool at myself and our life cause kids aren't generally just naturally violent and mean, it can hugely be a learned trait.

rhiannonaisling
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:53 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Your kid, your punishment. And, frankly, I agree with you.

This...and personally I don't think it was very harsh at all...if mine did that they would lose all that for the rest of the month and have to write and deliver apology notes/speech to all involved.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:56 AM

I agree, which is why I am trying to nip it in the bud before it becomes too serious.

Quoting autodidact:

Bullying is a serious offence.

It's not like as understandable or forgiviable as shirking chores or stealing a cookie. Its a much more troubling behavior for them to go out of their way to hurt another. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)