Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you have a major mom fail you'd care to share?

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:45 AM
  • 222 Replies

9 New Mom Fails So Traumatizing They're Tough to Admit

by Mary Fischer

baby on carMoms are only human and we all make mistakes from time to time, but have you ever committed a mom fail so horrible you're almost embarrassed to admit it?

Sometimes no matter how hard we try to do everything perfectly with our babies and keep an eye on them 100 percent of the time -- sh&% happens -- and they wind up either being in a potentially dangerous situation or possibly even getting hurt.

And then we freak out and the overwhelming guilt kicks in and we wind up being traumatized by those mistakes to the point where we'll never forgive ourselves for them.

Here are nine of the worst mom fails out there -- proving no one is "Mother of the Year" all the time.

1.  "After a routine Whole Foods trip, I was driving down the highway when I heard my baby making this weird whimpering noise from the back seat. I briefly turned my head to see if he was ok -- and realized he was not fastened into his car seat! The straps were around his shoulders, but I'd totally forgotten to clasp the harness. I pulled over immediately and fixed the problem, but to this day, whenever I drive down that stretch of road, my heart drops into my stomach." -- (Yep. This one's mine.)
  2. "One time I was trying to click my daughter's car seat into the base. I totally missed it, and entire seat went tumbling down behind drivers seat. Whoops."
  3. "When my daughter was seven months old, she rolled off our bed, hit her head and suffered a concussion, even losing consciousness. I was sitting right next to her when it happened. Just turned my head away for a second. She was OK, and there have been no long term effects (she's four-and-a-half now.) But I have never gotten over the guilt I feel from that one moment. Not to mention it was the single most terrifying experience of my life. I thought she was dead." -- Elizabeth, The Writer Revived
  4. "I put the forward facing car seat back in the car after getting it cleaned. I must have missed a loop or latch with the seat belt. After the first left turn, my son started whining. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw him safely strapped in the car seat -- which was laying on its side across the back seat."
  5. "Once when my oldest was about three or four months old, I put him on the changing table and took my eyes off him for five seconds ... that's all it took for him to roll off the table and hit the floor face first."
  6. "We had a case of the flu go around our house and I was down for the count. My son was probably a year old at the time and at some point in the night he woke up and threw up everywhere. My husband and I didn't hear him cry! I woke up the next morning to check on him and the poor kid had puke everywhere!! I still feel completely horrendous about it to this day!"
  7. "My daughter, my second, was literally home from the hospital for an hour when I decided to cut her claw like fingernails (being the pro that I was as a second-time mom, this did not intimidate me.) So I start snipping away with the baby clippers and NICK -- blood! Missed her nail and clipped the top of her finger. She survived and her finger was fine, but I was a bad, careless, over-confident mommy."
  8. "I let my son play out back and he managed to squeeze through the gate (still don’t know how) and my neighbor (luckily out front at the time) returned him to the front door. You can imagine my heart when I saw him standing on my front porch when I thought he was out back. And I swear I was checking on him regularly! I think my husband was even out in the garage nearby."
  9. "I strapped my daughter into her car seat while it was sitting on the kitchen counter. I turned around to grab my keys, and boom! The next thing I knew she was on the floor. Luckily she was not hurt -- but thinking about it still makes me cry."

Do you have a major mom fail you'd care to share?

by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
villagemamma
by Platinum Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:38 AM

when dd was about two she super glued her nostril shut.

last week dd and i loaded into the van to go some where. (im now almost 9 months prego and very scatter brained) i pulled out of the driveway and dd goes "uh mom im not buckled!" thank god shees old enough to tell me. i felt like such an idiot.

sam12796
by Platinum Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:40 AM

My youngest was on the changing table, my oldest then almost 2 came into the room crying she had a bloody nose. I turned to see it and the little one then 6 months flipped so quickly she fell. Thankfully she did not get hurt. I learned to buckle her in that moment on. Even if I was right there and in front of her just as I was that day she fell.

SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:51 AM

How about yelling at him about stupid Poptarts on the day he died? Telling him that if ate them all that day, he wouldn't have any to take to dialysis the rest of the week. FAIL!! FAIL!! FAIL!!

LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:53 AM

when dd was 3 months old i thought i'd rinse her off in the bathroom sink....i banged her head on the faucet.  i cried louder and longer than she did. i still feel bad and she's 6.5 years old.

LaughCryLive
by Ruby Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM
4 moms liked this

hugs

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

How about yelling at him about stupid Poptarts on the day he died? Telling him that if ate them all that day, he wouldn't have any to take to dialysis the rest of the week. FAIL!! FAIL!! FAIL!!

Alayna - Wife to Sanjay and mommy to Anjali

silverdawn99
by Ruby Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM

i forgot to buckle one of my kids up *i have three kiddos lol*

and my oldest locked me out of the house one day and i had to call my dh to come home and let me in :(

Isaacsmom913
by Platinum Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:57 AM
Put my son in his car seat, shut the door got in the car buckled myseld and drove off. 10 minutes later I hear him pulling the door handle--didnt think gee, he cant reach that... Instead told him to stop. Quite a few miles later I see him standing on the middle seat in my rear view mirror. Im ANAL on car seat safety---felt like an ass!!!
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I fell once caring my son.  I have no idea how he wasnt hurt.  I was really banged up and I guess I positioned myself to take the fall.  All I remember is him crying and on the grass.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

4WheelinMama
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
*Hugs*

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpiritedWitch
by Froggie on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:03 AM

OH! Reading the carseat fails reminded me. When the boy was born, we had a wicked 1968 Plymouth Satellite. I mean, classic muscle ... 383 under the hood, airshocks in the rear so that it was jacked up ... wicked. Well, we THOUGHT we had buckled the seat belt around the carseat. Yeah, not so much. We not so slowly turned a curve and suddenly ... SCREAMING!! The boy and the seat rolled over. *facepalm* He wasn't hurt but after that, we made double/triple sure the belt was buckled. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN