Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have a major mom fail you'd care to share?

Posted by   + Show Post

9 New Mom Fails So Traumatizing They're Tough to Admit

by Mary Fischer

baby on carMoms are only human and we all make mistakes from time to time, but have you ever committed a mom fail so horrible you're almost embarrassed to admit it?

Sometimes no matter how hard we try to do everything perfectly with our babies and keep an eye on them 100 percent of the time -- sh&% happens -- and they wind up either being in a potentially dangerous situation or possibly even getting hurt.

And then we freak out and the overwhelming guilt kicks in and we wind up being traumatized by those mistakes to the point where we'll never forgive ourselves for them.

Here are nine of the worst mom fails out there -- proving no one is "Mother of the Year" all the time.

1.  "After a routine Whole Foods trip, I was driving down the highway when I heard my baby making this weird whimpering noise from the back seat. I briefly turned my head to see if he was ok -- and realized he was not fastened into his car seat! The straps were around his shoulders, but I'd totally forgotten to clasp the harness. I pulled over immediately and fixed the problem, but to this day, whenever I drive down that stretch of road, my heart drops into my stomach." -- (Yep. This one's mine.)
  2. "One time I was trying to click my daughter's car seat into the base. I totally missed it, and entire seat went tumbling down behind drivers seat. Whoops."
  3. "When my daughter was seven months old, she rolled off our bed, hit her head and suffered a concussion, even losing consciousness. I was sitting right next to her when it happened. Just turned my head away for a second. She was OK, and there have been no long term effects (she's four-and-a-half now.) But I have never gotten over the guilt I feel from that one moment. Not to mention it was the single most terrifying experience of my life. I thought she was dead." -- Elizabeth, The Writer Revived
  4. "I put the forward facing car seat back in the car after getting it cleaned. I must have missed a loop or latch with the seat belt. After the first left turn, my son started whining. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw him safely strapped in the car seat -- which was laying on its side across the back seat."
  5. "Once when my oldest was about three or four months old, I put him on the changing table and took my eyes off him for five seconds ... that's all it took for him to roll off the table and hit the floor face first."
  6. "We had a case of the flu go around our house and I was down for the count. My son was probably a year old at the time and at some point in the night he woke up and threw up everywhere. My husband and I didn't hear him cry! I woke up the next morning to check on him and the poor kid had puke everywhere!! I still feel completely horrendous about it to this day!"
  7. "My daughter, my second, was literally home from the hospital for an hour when I decided to cut her claw like fingernails (being the pro that I was as a second-time mom, this did not intimidate me.) So I start snipping away with the baby clippers and NICK -- blood! Missed her nail and clipped the top of her finger. She survived and her finger was fine, but I was a bad, careless, over-confident mommy."
  8. "I let my son play out back and he managed to squeeze through the gate (still don’t know how) and my neighbor (luckily out front at the time) returned him to the front door. You can imagine my heart when I saw him standing on my front porch when I thought he was out back. And I swear I was checking on him regularly! I think my husband was even out in the garage nearby."
  9. "I strapped my daughter into her car seat while it was sitting on the kitchen counter. I turned around to grab my keys, and boom! The next thing I knew she was on the floor. Luckily she was not hurt -- but thinking about it still makes me cry."

Do you have a major mom fail you'd care to share?

by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Replies (171-180):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:32 AM

This was a nanny fail. A major one. 

My dog was extremely sick. Couldn't be left alone int he house for 10 minutes or he'd have diarrhea. So I was taking the little girl to my house for the day. (my now husband was on his way back from Vegas from his Bach party and was SOOOOO sick... not hungover, like actually sick) so I couldn't leave the dog with him. I brought the dog with to pick her up. I put them both in the car and the dog stepped on my key in the car and locked the doors. THankfully it was kind of cool and in March (we lived in TX) so she was totally fine... he on the other hand had wrapped his leash around EVERYTHIGN and I almost had to break the window to save him from strangling himself. The locksmith let me in and it was all fine (p.s. it's free when there's a kid involved) So then we drive to the pharmacy to get meds for my husband to meet him at home. I pull up to the pharmacy (only about 3 miles away) and get out... she is not strapped into her carseat. 

I burst into tears immediately. It was an awful day. The worst part is (other than the possiblity of death in a car accident) had i realized this when the doors were locked I could have gotten her to just unlock one. haha. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:38 AM
You can't form a single coherent sentence. Makes me feel bad for YOUR kids

Quoting Anonymous:

Thank GOD I've never been not had a stepparent. And my children never were either.

Unfortunately this poor kid had been saddled with a pretty crappy one.

Quoting Anonymous:

Learn to read. She did not MAKE him fall. No where did he say she pushed, shoved, forced, or other wise MAKE him fall.

You must lead a very sad and pathetic life to be on her so badly. Whatever your problem with step parents are, you need to reevaluate your life if its causing you this much pain

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh she obviously cares!

Forcing him to do something he was afraid to do, feeding him cotton candy, making him fall from a fire truck, and then crying in front of him.

Right. Babysitter of the year right there.

Quoting blondieinva80:

All you think is that she will be a babysitter. Your opinion doesn't matter. My language is very lovely,I know. Idgaf how you feel about it. He may have parents,but he also has a stepmother that cares about him also,so take the stick out if your ASS!

Quoting Anonymous:

Nice language.

All she will ever be to that boy is a babysitter and I think it's sick that you think she has some magical special role in his life. News flash: HE HAS PARENTS ALREADY!

Quoting blondieinva80:

She is his STEPMOM,not babysitter or fathers plaything,you stupid bitch! I wouldn't have no problem about it. I have done worse to my nephews AND my own child.

Quoting Anonymous:

I can't believe you women scrually think that horrible woman has any right to be near that boy.

She is his babysitter and his father's plaything.

If my babysitter it plaything hurt my child, I would cut them out of our lives immediately and permanently.

Quoting blondieinva80:

You can quit being such a rude ass bitch anytime. You're being a real bitch by hiding behind that damn anon button. It's parenting fails. I know you are no where near perfect,cause there isn't anyone in this world that is. At least she had the balls to go under her screen name,not hide like you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah and the only MOM fail here was that poor boys mother leaving him alone with this woman.

She's not his mother and has no right to post this story here.

And I hope his REAL mother knows she can't trust his stepmother nor his father's judgment. Obviously the poor kid is in for a sad life if is own parents are going to be so careless with his safety. She is obviously not fit to be his babysitter.

That poor kid.

Quoting malissaL:

oh for fucks sake, we ARE telling mom fail stories here..we've all messed up somehow or another..

Quoting Anonymous:

If I washis mother you would never be left alone with my child again. I hope you're ashamed of yourself, and that his parents never make that mistake again.

Quoting kappalopokis:

I bribed my stepson (with cotton candy no less!) into climbing into a fire truck and sitting.  I *knew* he'd think it was cool, but he was afraid. He gets in and gets all excited and makes me take a bunch of pictures of him sitting in it.  Then, goes to reach for a fire hat that the nearby fireman was trying to give him to try on and falls face first towards the ground. I ran forward to catch him causing him to bounce off of me and back onto the truck and back to the ground. 

He got up and looked horrified, then he saw my face--equally horrified, and he tried to suck it up.

Then I told him "It's okay to cry about this one baby!"  And we both started crying together. 

I felt absolutely HORRIBLE.  If I hadn't conned him into getting in in the first place, he never would have fallen.  

BUT, he's fine. And when we look at the pictures together he remembers the cool fire truck and not the fall. 

kit_manson
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM
My son was nine months old, almost ten. I noticed he was slightly feverish, so I gave him some needs and put him to bed... In the morning his fever was higher, so i called the doctor and brought him in... He wouldn't eat or drink. By the time i reached the drs, he was at 105. He was so, so sick. He normally cruised around, crawled, played... He couldn't even roll. Wouldn't drink anything. He almost died.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM
When my daughter was 6 months old she was in her crib and I thought she was asleep. We had hardwood floors and all of a sudden I hear a thump and then a scream. I run in to see that she had fallen out of her crib. That's how I knew it was time to lower the mattress.
nova.mommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I don't know if this qualifies because it happened before I was a Mommy.  I was watching my 4-5 year old nephew.  We were at my parent's house(I still lived there then), just the 2 of us.  We went to sit on the porch out front and locked ourselves out.  The neighbors were home and I knew they had watched my parents dog when we went away, so I went to ask them if they had a key(found out that they didn't like to keep it all the time).  

We had a walkout basement with a sliding glass door.  They builder was still in the development, so they were able to pop out a basement window that one of the workers could fit through and open the slider for me to get in.  Then they replaced the window for free also.  Win on all sides, if it weren't for my nephew being there and the probability that he would say something, I could have said nothing and no one would be the wiser.  Of course as soon as my brother and SIL came home, he told them before I could.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM

My kid's have rolled off of the sofa

Wendi2247
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

How can you compare a babysitter to a step-parent?!?  I'm pretty sure a babysitter gets paid & most don't really love the child. There are a lot of cases where the step-parent is the main parent in a child's life.  You can disagree with her parenting style (even though crying in front of him & bribing him with cotton candy doesn't make her the spawn of satan like you're making her out to be) but I think it's ridiculous that you think she should never be allowed near her SS because she's his step-mother! I think it's great that she cares enough to take him to do things like that!  If my child ever has a step-mom (I'm sure she won't but if she did) I hope that the woman would love my child and take interest in her life. And I'm smart enough to realize that someone who will be spending that much time with my child is going to make mistakes and accidents are going to happen!  If we, as their biological parents, make mistakes how can we expect the other parent, step or not, not to make the same mistakes?!  I would say she's a pretty good Step-Mom because she cares enough to consider this a fail!  If she didn't give a crap about the kid she wouldn't give 2 shits about what happened!  There are parents on here that have posted MUCH worse!  I wouldn't even consider this a fail, just a minor accident.  I feel sorry for your kids if they ever do have a step parent in their lives!  You are definitely going to be one of these women that make it damn near impossible for anyone else to love or take part in their lives!  I guess you think a step-parent should ignore that the child even exist & damn sure shouldn't interact with them??  By the way, for all you know, her SS's biological Mother could be the biggest POS on the face of this Earth and this woman has selflessly loved & cared for him even though he's not her biological child!  That's what makes a GOOD step-parent...Being able to love & care for a child like their own!  And what makes a good parent in that situation is allowing & wanting that for your child!  

I grew up with a step-father and I wish he would have taken the time to take me to do things or care when I got hurt! He's been in my life for over 20 years & never once has he cared about anything to do with me and that is MUCH worse! 

So, LONG STORY SHORT, YOU ARE VERY VERY WRONG & PRETTY PATHETIC FOR BASHING THIS WOMAN & REFERRING TO HER AS A BABYSITTER WHO'S JUST SLEEPING WITH THE BOY'S FATHER!  I'VE HEARD A LOT OF STUPID THINGS SAID ABOUT STEP-PARENTS BUT THIS HAS TO BE THE STUPIDEST!  NOT TO MENTION YOU'RE BASICALLY COMPARING HER TO A PAID SLUT, A BABYSITTER WHO'S SLEEPING WITH THE FATHER.  I can usually just agree to disagree but ignorant people strike a nerve with me!! 

Quoting Anonymous:

There's something wrong with Amy parent that wouldn't get rid of the babysitter that hurt their kid as soon as it happened. I don't care if dad is sleeping with her or not.

MY kid comes first. I guess that's not the case here, and I think dad should be ashamed and mom should be beaten for continuing to allow it!

Quoting autodidact:

you don't just have issues, you have the entire fucking subscription.

Quoting Anonymous:

I can't believe you women scrually think that horrible woman has any right to be near that boy.

She is his babysitter and his father's plaything.

If my babysitter it plaything hurt my child, I would cut them out of our lives immediately and permanently.

Quoting blondieinva80:

You can quit being such a rude ass bitch anytime. You're being a real bitch by hiding behind that damn anon button. It's parenting fails. I know you are no where near perfect,cause there isn't anyone in this world that is. At least she had the balls to go under her screen name,not hide like you.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah and the only MOM fail here was that poor boys mother leaving him alone with this woman.

And I hope his REAL mother knows she can't trust his stepmother nor his father's judgment. Obviously the poor kid is in for a sad life if is own parents are going to be so careless with his safety. She is obviously not fit to be his babysitter.

That poor kid.

Quoting malissaL:

oh for fucks sake, we ARE telling mom fail stories here..we've all messed up somehow or another..

Quoting Anonymous:

If I washis mother you would never be left alone with my child again. I hope you're ashamed of yourself, and that his parents never make that mistake again.

Quoting kappalopokis:

I bribed my stepson (with cotton candy no less!) into climbing into a fire truck and sitting.  I *knew* he'd think it was cool, but he was afraid. He gets in and gets all excited and makes me take a bunch of pictures of him sitting in it.  Then, goes to reach for a fire hat that the nearby fireman was trying to give him to try on and falls face first towards the ground. I ran forward to catch him causing him to bounce off of me and back onto the truck and back to the ground. 

He got up and looked horrified, then he saw my face--equally horrified, and he tried to suck it up.

Then I told him "It's okay to cry about this one baby!"  And we both started crying together. 

I felt absolutely HORRIBLE.  If I hadn't conned him into getting in in the first place, he never would have fallen.  

BUT, he's fine. And when we look at the pictures together he remembers the cool fire truck and not the fall. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:10 AM
I can relate. I cried so hard when they told me it was broken. I would have been in there so fast had I realized....

Quoting poshkat:

Quoting Anonymous:

I know seriously. She was 6 and fell off her scooter, sure she cried but not too bad and she was sort if a drama queen do we didn't think too much of it. When we offered her ice creme and a movie she calmed down and fell asleep watching the movie. Woke at at 3am SCREAMING :0/. We went to the ER and her leg was broke in 2 spots. They said it was common for kids to calm like she did and people wait all the time thinking the child is ok. Anyway she spent a summer in a cast from her toes to her hip and 6 weeks in a short cast. My dd is almost 15 now and it's one of those things she remembers like it was yesterday

Quoting malissaL:

:(  if that's not enough to make someone feel terrible forever...

Quoting Anonymous:Putting my kid to bed when her leg was broken because I didn't think she was that hurt...

my ds jumped off the couch and hit his fingers on the coffee table on Thursday evening. Put ice on it and he was fine. He woke up screaming at 9pm and we took him to the er. He ended up with a jammed finger not broken like we thought. I was freaking out. Totally felt like a loser because I thought he was ok after icing it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Seriously? It was just an accident. It's not she pushed him or made him fall on purpose. Jeez give the woman a break.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kappalopokis:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:48 AM

That's the biggest BS I have ever heard. My DH is the stepfather to my kids and he has been a better father than their "real" father. He has raised those kids like they were his own and he means everything to my kids.They even call him daddy.

You need to STFU! That woman did nothing wrong.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm being honest about my opinion. I'm not being any kind of dirty name. And km sorry but in the *real world* the word STEP means that the person means nothing to the child!

Quoting Anonymous:

Christ woman! Up your damn meds! She is this boys step-MOTHER! The only reason you're being such a bitch is that stupid word step. GTFO yourself!

Quoting Anonymous:

That poor kid.

Quoting malissaL:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kappalopokis:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured