Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you selfless?

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM
  • 30 Replies

Well, are you? Has parenthood changed anything about your level of selflessness?

Personally, I'm not. Not by a longshot. I would do anything I can for my son and the people I love and call family, within reason. For other people, not so much. If someone asks me for help and I can do it without going too far out of my way, I will unless I'm in a particularly bad mood. But I would have to be very, and I mean extremely, touched or upset by something to offer my help. Or somehow figure a way to profit from it.

It was different when I was younger. I used to be a bit of a people pleaser, and I didn't even do it because I genuinely liked helping people but kind of on auto-pilot. Until I realized how ridiculous that was and how much time I was wasting on something that only left me thinking about how much time I'd just wasted on people I don't care about and that was the end of it.

by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:54 AM

No I'm not. I am more than I was before kids. 

divinedimension
by Not Miss Cleo on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:55 AM
I am, to a fault
TrouserMouse
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM
I help people all of the time. I wish I could do more. I do not consider it being a people please. It is equally about self-fulfillment as it is about contributing to others. It makes me feel good.
UxorQuodMatris.
by Ruby Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM
I was, to a huge fault.
I'm not anymore, I operate on a 50/50 basis now, otherwise my family will suffer in the long run.
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Me too.  I was raised like that.

Quoting divinedimension:

I am, to a fault

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I try to be.

Ashley_Carlson
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I've gotten myself hurt WAY too many times because of my selflessness. Being caring and generous is just who I am.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I was, to a fault.  Until I realized that I had to be happy, before I could help anyone else.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 8, 2013 at 10:59 AM
My family comes first period. But I help people however I can, or try to.
BewitchedKisses
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Nope. I am selfless toward my children and my family, but outside of that not at all. 

Growing up, I was pretty selfish. My family still considers me to be selfish. But oh well. I'm the only person that's ever looked out for me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN