Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Stopping birth control pill

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM
  • 10 Replies

Poll

Question: Which route would you go?

Options:

Essure

Laparoscopy (tubes tied)

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 0

So I have been on BCP for at least the past 11 years.  I stopped taking them when my son was about 3 and we were trying to have another baby.  No luck there.  My son is now 14 and I no longer want any more children.  There are a couple of procedures I am looking into.  I thought I would see if anyone here has experienced either procedure or advice on which route to go.

The first is Essure.  It sounds easy, pain free etc.  My concern is some of the horror stories I have read about the procedure.  Side effect afterwards and some people getting pregnant even after having the essure done.  I spoke with my OB last week and he said he isn't has hip on it as he was in the beginning.  He says the fail rate is about 10%.

The second thing I'm looking into is Sterilization by laparoscopy.  This one is more involved, I would have to be put under and have some small scars by my belly button.  Recovery is a few days.  OB said if I did that one on a Wednesday or Thursday I would be able to be back to work on Monday.

Lastly I don't know what to expect from no longer taking BCP.  I've read some good and bad things. I know everyone is different and has different effects.   What have some of you experienced from no longer being on BCP?  I worry my periods will be horrific.  Before I had my son I would only get my period every 6 months and it was very painful and heavy.  Hopefully that wouldn't be the case any longer. 

Thanks.

by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I'm thinking about Essure myself. Good luck! :)

NorseGodessMom
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I got my tubes tided. It was nice and easy and I basicly slept for 3 days (they gave me some good drugs) after that there has been no issues.

Mhistina
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you.  Good luck to you as well, if you have this done.

Quoting vegaswife2011:

I'm thinking about Essure myself. Good luck! :)

Mhistina
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:08 PM

That is pretty much what the laparoscopy is.  They go in by the belly button and tie them off that way.  Thanks for the input, glad to hear there were no issues.

Quoting NorseGodessMom:

I got my tubes tided. It was nice and easy and I basicly slept for 3 days (they gave me some good drugs) after that there has been no issues.

BCauseImAwesome
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I know a couple women who have had laser ablations. They both love it.

.strawberry.
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:13 PM
There is a mom on here who had a horrible experience with Essure. I know it's different for everyone but I would stay away.

I have no experience with either but I'm still trying to get my body to regulate after stopping birth control. It's been over a year and I still don't have regular periods and I get acne outbreaks at random. I tried to start BC pills but I was allergic. Starting to think BC is the devil and we should just stop trying to fix things that aren't really broken!
NorseGodessMom
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:14 PM

they did for mine to, I got cauterized.

Quoting Mhistina:

That is pretty much what the laparoscopy is.  They go in by the belly button and tie them off that way.  Thanks for the input, glad to hear there were no issues.

Quoting NorseGodessMom:

Mhistina
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I asked about that and OB said it would probably work, but it has never been studied as a sterilization procedure...

Quoting BCauseImAwesome:

I know a couple women who have had laser ablations. They both love it.

Mhistina
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Thank you!  I have read a lot about women getting acne and wishing they would have just let there body be.  But being off of it made them feel better even though getting acne and irregular periods until your body adjusts.  Yup, after 11 years taking the pill I'm sure I'll have some work ahead of me to regulate.  :)

Quoting .strawberry.:

There is a mom on here who had a horrible experience with Essure. I know it's different for everyone but I would stay away.

I have no experience with either but I'm still trying to get my body to regulate after stopping birth control. It's been over a year and I still don't have regular periods and I get acne outbreaks at random. I tried to start BC pills but I was allergic. Starting to think BC is the devil and we should just stop trying to fix things that aren't really broken!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I would never get long-term birth control done...but that is just my personal choice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN