Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What ever happened with no more mail on Saturdays?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies
I remember reading awhile back that USPS planned on stopping mail delivery on Saturdays starting in August. Well it is now September, and I'm still getting mail delivered on Saturdays. Has this affected anyone else?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Wicked.Jester
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Yeah come to think of it I still get mail too.

tardistraveller
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM

You guys get mail on Saturday???  Weird.

the_dude
by abides on Sep. 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM

the gov nixed it. 

the_dude
by abides on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:00 PM

dude gets mail on Sat.

supermama322
by Kaylee on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Idk, we've never got mail on Saturdays. lol

the_dude
by abides on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Postal Service Will Keep Saturday Mail Delivery After All

A Chicago postal worker protests in support of Saturday mail delivery in February.

A Chicago postal worker protests in support of Saturday mail delivery in February.

John Gress/Getty Images

The U.S. Postal Service has backed off a plan to halt Saturday mail delivery, saying that Congress has forced it to continue the service despite massive cost overruns.

In a statement released Wednesday, the USPS Board of Governors said restrictive language included in the latest Continuing Resolution, which keeps the government operating until September in lieu of a budget, prevents it from going ahead with the plan.

In February, the Postal Service announced it would end regular mail delivery on Saturdays beginning Aug. 5 in an effort to stanch the red ink in its budget. It planned to continue package deliveries on Saturday.

The Postal Service board says Congress "has left ... no choice but to delay implementation" of the five-day-a-week plan for mail delivery.

Last year, the USPS lost a record $15 billion, pushing it toward insolvency.

According to The New York Times:

"The agency's financial reports show that mail volume continues to decline as Americans increasingly turn to electronic forms of communication. Total mail volume was 159.9 billion pieces, down 5 percent from 168.3 billion pieces a last year. Operating revenue was $65.2 billion, down from $65.7 billion over the same period."

As NPR's Yuki Noguchi, explains, the dilemma for the Postal Service is that it's not taxpayer funded, but is governed by Congress:

"It competes against UPS and FedEx, but cannot cut costs or make big changes without congressional approval," Noguchi says. "And it's one of the largest employers in the country and the only organization with a requirement to fully pre-fund its retirement plan decades into the future — a financial burden that is forcing it into insolvency."

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I got mail yesterday too.

imakehimscream
by He screams on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Mail is my friend. I would love it 7 days a week, well withoutbthe junk mail
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:02 PM
Yes, Sunday is the only day we don't get mail delivered here.

Quoting tardistraveller:

You guys get mail on Saturday???  Weird.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:04 PM

The government decided against it, which is ridiculous IMO. I say get rid of 2 days a week. The mail is JUNK, JUNK, JUNK. We don't even need the US Postal service if you really think about it. Not that this will happen, for that would be to much job loss.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN