Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Interior design/paint color question. What's your opinion? ETA-sheen?

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:33 PM
  • 28 Replies
I'm painting all the walls in our house. I'm not 100% on colors yet but I'm starting in dds room which I do have the color for.

Anyway my question is about the trim. I'm not a big fan of bright white trim as I find it too jarring, Im going to do more of an off white color to warm it up.

The doors are older and have either been painted horribly with flat bright white or the previoys residebts never got passed primering. Either way they need to be repainyed. Should the doors match the trim, or should they be white?

ETA- couple more questions.

What sheen is best for the walls? It's an older (1977) house. Eggshell, or satin?

And the trim/doors? Semi-gloss or gloss?
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:35 PM

if my doors are painted and not wood, then yes... I would match them to the trim.

cfcf
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Bump
BCauseImAwesome
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I am a fan of doors matching the trim. But I am also a fan of white. So.....

cfcf
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM
They are painted over dark wood. They're the older doors that are flat. Not my favorite but oh well.

The trim is going to be the same color throughout the house.

I guess it makes sense to match the doors, Lol.

Quoting KrissyKC:

if my doors are painted and not wood, then yes... I would match them to the trim.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I am not a fan of painting trim or doors but if they were painted already I would match the trim and doors.

anon71
by Momma Squirrel on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I don't know what the hard and fast rule is, but if the trim is off-white, I think the doors should be off-white too.  Otherwise, the contast might make the trim look dingy.  You do need to be sure to use a gloss or at the very least, semi-gloss paint.  You could also paint all the doors black (I use semi-gloss when using black, gloss when using white, but that's just my preference).   You can find lots of black door pics on Pinterest.

cfcf
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:39 PM
The trim isn't going to be much different than white. I'm fact, if the doors are not bright white against off white trim people will probably assume they are white. I just think a shade different than white warms it up and is more pleasing to the eye.

Quoting BCauseImAwesome:

I am a fan of doors matching the trim. But I am also a fan of white. So.....

sadiebug1228
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:41 PM
U could do the trim an off white or even black but it depends on the colors of the walls. Black doors look good with lighter colored walls and my friend has a house that all her trim and molding is black it looks good and she also has high ceilings so it doesn't make it look smaller
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cfcf
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Good point, it would make the trim look dingy/dirty I'm sure.

I've never thought about. Black. I just saw some pics and it looks cool but I don't think it would look right in my house.

They are older doors and the house is "vintage" as in 1977 all around. I'm just trying to brighten it up to modernize it a bit.

Quoting anon71:

I don't know what the hard and fast rule is, but if the trim is off-white, I think the doors should be off-white too.  Otherwise, the contast might make the trim look dingy.  You do need to be sure to use a gloss or at the very least, semi-gloss paint.  You could also paint all the doors black (I use semi-gloss when using black, gloss when using white, but that's just my preference).   You can find lots of black door pics on Pinterest.

AMRios
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Oh the inside of her room you could do what every you wanted... Get a bright multicolored bed set and paint her walls Hot pink with line green polka dots, lime green trim and a purple door.... <<EXAMPLE!!!  The outside of her door should match your hall decor... We are putting all black doors on the rooms... :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)