Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Puppy abduction....

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:13 PM
  • 16 Replies
I am watching my nieces dog on the 13-16th I was just wondering about the dog...

It's a cocker spaniel, do people abduct these dogs?

My thoughts were to put it in one of my yards if I have to leave, so it's not crated, but was just thinking about puppy abducters is this a breed that is often abducted?

The puppy is 5 months old btw
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rosewind13
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:15 PM

If you live in an area where that is pretty common I would keep her inside... Unless you have a larger dog that can be outside with her. Usually anyone with ill intent will avoid houses with big dogs.

girlymom26
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I know nothing about puppy abductions becuase that dosent happen often where I live but if its a problems by you I would crate the dog if you have to leave. Cocker spanials are very cute dogs, lol if I could have one I would but we already have a dog.

momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:17 PM

If the dog is crate trained, crate it when you leave. Any dog can be abducted. If she is purebred, she is probably more likely to be abducted.

pregnant

blue_elephant
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:18 PM
As far as I know it's not a problem, but always something to be concerned about, kwim?

I have a dachshund/lab/pit mix, she isn't large but she isn't small either...

Quoting rosewind13:

If you live in an area where that is pretty common I would keep her inside... Unless you have a larger dog that can be outside with her. Usually anyone with ill intent will avoid houses with big dogs.

blue_elephant
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM
As far as I know she is a purebred and she isn't fixed, so I'm kinda worried about it...

I could put her in the backyard with my dog, but not sure how much she would like that, or how much my dog would like it either...

Quoting momof2boy2girl:

If the dog is crate trained, crate it when you leave. Any dog can be abducted. If she is purebred, she is probably more likely to be abducted.

rosewind13
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM

I would say if she's pretty protective you're probably fine. If there is more than one dog most people probably won't even try. Especially if one of the dogs is barking or growling.

Quoting blue_elephant:

As far as I know it's not a problem, but always something to be concerned about, kwim?

Quoting rosewind13:

blue_elephant
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:27 PM
She barks whenever somebody is walking down the road, so I imagine down the driveway and she doesn't know them she would go nuts, but not entirely sure as she isn't a sought after dog breed, and she is fixed...

We live in a good neighborhood, but lately seem to be getting cased often, nobody has had a break in, just lots of suspicious activity...

I think my house is avoided because my dog looks more like a pit than anything, and most people don't generally mess with those dogs!

I do know my dog is protective, but it's more over me and the kids, when I leave I'm not sure how she acts if somebody is walking down the road, kwim?

Quoting rosewind13:

I would say if she's pretty protective you're probably fine. If there is more than one dog most people probably won't even try. Especially if one of the dogs is barking or growling.

Quoting blue_elephant:

Quoting rosewind13:

liltampa71
by Platinum Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:30 PM

If the dog is used to the crate, he/she should be fine in it.  Especially since you are a new enviroment (your home).  It gives them security.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:33 PM
I know a few people in my area were taking dogs that looked purebred. All the stories were the same. They put their dog outside to pee, and a few minutes later the dog was gone.

Its mostly bull dogs people safe after around here. Purebred are $1500+
blue_elephant
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 2:33 PM
Well I'll leave it's crate open while I'm home in case the dog wants to lay in it, but my concern is leaving her in it if we go somewhere, I feel it would be a better option for the dog to be outside, but not if it will get snatched, kwim?

Quoting liltampa71:

If the dog is used to the crate, he/she should be fine in it.  Especially since you are a new enviroment (your home).  It gives them security.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN