Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What age *eta

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies
Did you or do you plan on making your child(ren) do chores? Even simple ones such as straighten up toys, put plate in sink? What kind of chores do your children do? How many per day? What are the consequences of undone chores? What is the reward given for completing chores? I just made up daily chores for my girls ages 11,9 & 8. Their chores consist of loading/unloading dishwasher, vacuum bedroom/hallway, mop/sweep kitchen, clean counters, fold laundry and put it away. Take out garbage on garbage night. Clean bathroom (just mop/pick up dirty laundry) and bring laundry downstairs to be washed. Some of these are NOT done every day. Clean bedroom and dishwasher and bring down dirty laundry are the ones to be done everyday. They are not allowed to play Xbox, watch tv or play outside until it is done and now that school is in they must do homework as well. At the end of the week they will be allowed to pick a redbox movie or some kind of other special prize. Money, item of choosing from dollar tree, etc. we are not rich and my children appreciate any type of special reward they are given

ETA- the majority of you are saying picking up toys and cleaning the bedroom are not chores, so with that said, what are the chores you give that are rewarded? My kids know keeping a clean room is necessary but sometimes I get the complaining of I don't want to or they blame each other for messing it (2 share a room, my oldest has her own room but my youngest sometimes will sleep in my oldest's room) we also have a rule of no toys in the living room.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 8, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:29 AM

2 they start picking up their toys and taking their plates, etc to the sink, emptying the dryer, putting clothes in the hamper, etc.  Its not necessarily chores though, its being responsible.

justpeachy71904
by peachy on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:29 AM
About 2 , she started
MommaSchimmel
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:41 AM

Around 2.. It's not chores here everyone has to help out and be responsible. My 2yo puts his plate in the sink, clothes in the hamper, toys away and is responsible for making sure his covers and loveys make it back on the bed in the morning since he kicks them out at night. My 4 yo does all that and feeds the dog and folds the towels which he oddly loves and gets mad if i fold them while hes at school..

SnapShotMama
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:45 AM
They have had chores since they Started walking lol (mind you or was just helping pick up small toys).
SnapShotMama
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:46 AM
And the reward is having a clean house with plenty of pay room and knowing they dida good job and we're proud.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:47 AM

I made a mistake with my DD and said that she wouldn't begin to do anything more than tidy her room until she was 12 - then I would start training her...And then she got diagnosed with several special needs diagnosis's....Which means at 21 I still can't trust her to do anything more than laundry. Her dishes skills are appaling. Can't even trust her to wash a cup. *sigh* I've started heaps earlier with my younger ones.

poohbearkfc
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:56 AM
With our daughter she cleans up her toys and brings her dirty clothes to the hamper every night and she is 16 months.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:53 AM

Around 3, I don't consider picking up toys as a chore. The reward, food in their bellies, clothes on their backs, and a place to sleep.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:57 AM

My dd started doing chores at 8.  She has been picking up after herself and cleaning her own room for much longer, but I don't consider that a chore.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:15 AM

I started at 2. Doing simple things

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)