Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How did you ladies go about choosing a daycare?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies

My son is 5 and I need to find a daycare for him for after school one day a week. I found an ad on craigslist that looks nice and based on the general description it sounds like its in the right area for me to catch the bus that I need to get on. Its a home based day care but it has a license from the state of Caifornia. She is cpr/first aid certified. The ad says it offers hourly and drop in rates which is what I will need because its only one afternoon a week. I am going to call and make an appointment to meet the care provider and take a look around her home. I would like to know who else lives there and if she has other people hired to help her. Is there anything else I should look for or ask about? This is my first time hiring a babysitter outside of leaving my son with family so I am not sure what to expect.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Nunyabusiness
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Ask to see all her licenses and certifications. Ask if she's dealt with a bus rider before. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Is it rude to ask to actually see the licence and stuff? I would love to be able to actually look at it myself but I don't want to insult her. I will also make sure to explain about the bus schedule.

Quoting Nunyabusiness:

Ask to see all her licenses and certifications. Ask if she's dealt with a bus rider before. 

Nunyabusiness
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Absolutely not! This is your baby and his safety. I once did what she did and I had to have everything posted in plain sight for the parents to see.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 8, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Thanks. I am worried about being able to afford it. But I don't want to ask her how much she charges first thing over the phone because that isn't the most important thing. But at the same time there is no point in me even going to see the place if I can't afford her rates.

Quoting Nunyabusiness:

Absolutely not! This is your baby and his safety. I once did what she did and I had to have everything posted in plain sight for the parents to see.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)