Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Just got an awkward email from a student......she doesnt want me talking about evolution....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 87 Replies

Long story short I am a Adjunct professor at a community college. It is my first semester actually teaching classes on my own. Well I am teaching Invertebrate Biology. I got an email from my student telling me that she is offended that I am talking about evolution in the class because of her religion. Now dont get me long I am all for people being religious that is great if that is what they want....but this is a Biology class....The course objective for the class is

Course objectives: This course will introduce you to all animals, with th exception of cephalochordates and five classes of the subphylum Vertebrata. The emphasis will be evolution, form and function. At the end of this course, you will be familiar with animals that most folks never dream of, and you will have a context in which to place all advanced animal studies. 

This is said in the syllabus which is available to all students about 2 weeks before classes start. I honestly thought she was joking at first but when she came to lab and left when I was talking about evolution. Is it not common sense that biology is all about evolution? I havent said this to her or anything but if you dont believe in evolution getting a biology or biology like degree is probably not the way to go.

I am meeting with the department head on tuesday to talk about what the recommend for the situation. i do not want to say or do something wrong.... I guess I am a little shocked. I dont think you should ask a teacher to stop talking about one of the main subjects of the class no matter what it is. IDK i guess I am just rambling at this point 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Oh and sorry for all the errors....I have a massive migraine and honestly dont care to go through and correct it all. Oh and I didnt "just" get the email...just noticed I wrote that oh well...

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM
19 moms liked this
She's the student, she has no right to dictate what you teach. And she has no right to impose her beliefs on the rest of the class.
Kitsun
by Ruby Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Wtf
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Redwoods_Mama
by Platinum Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:17 PM

*blink blink*

Um.  I'm sorry about that.  I wouldn't know wtf to say in response. 

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:17 PM

When she's a professor she can do as she pleases. Until then that's not her call. 

Nunyabusiness
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:17 PM
3 moms liked this

Honestly. If she were strong enough in her faith she wouldn't be writing you. She should know full well evolution will be discussed in a community college. I would tell her that if she doesn't want to here it, you can forewarn her ahead of time that the subject will be discussed. If she skips out on class that's her problem. 

lyranightshade
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Lol she probably needs to attend a university that caters to her religious perspective. Maybe she should stick to just her pre req's at community college.
slashteddy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM
It's college. If she doesn't like an essential part of the class, she needs to leave said class and take something else.
Mamabear010
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I should have just stopped reading at community college. You said enough right there. She is in an adult setting for upper level education. Tell her to either get over it or drop your course.

Edit to clarify: I wasn't being sarcastic. I was saying that based on the fact that she is in a college setting, regardless of it being community college. It is still an upper level education and as such the only reply the teacher needs to give the student is to either get over it or drop the course. Period. This isn't high school or middle school. A professor has no need to cater to a student like that. It's laughable that the student even thinks she should.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM
2 moms liked this
I'm going with drunk and trolling the new prof. Anyone actually that stupid couldn't possibly be in college.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)