Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Where the heck would you live?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 64 Replies
I and my SO want to move out of South Dakota for a variety of reasons. One of which is opportunities. While South Dakota may have the 4th or 5th lowest unemployment rate at 3.9%, the wages suck ass, as do the jobs. It seriously has one of the highest rates of people working 2 or more jobs, I think it's in the top 5 for this too. The rent for a dumpy one room apartment in my area is 800 a month, but wages are averaging around $8.00. McDonald's is paying 9 and they aren't hiring. It's a bit better in Sioux Falls and Rapid City but not a lot.

We have looked into areas in the Carolina's, Floridia, and Tennessee. He likes Florida, he's lived there before and has a sister there. I'm nervous about the weather and the critters and I think I would miss the snow.

So where would you move and why?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 8, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsrusso416
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:17 PM
We plan to move to Wellington, FL. Its a beautiful gated community with great schools
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Not that many jobs in Florida. We just moved from there.

What kind of work are you/your husband looking for?
VannaMae307
by on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:20 PM

We live in Texas now and plan on staying here for quite a while, dh wants to be a pilot when he's out of the army and the airport is right down the road, as is the college he would get his degree and be an instructor out of. 

The other state we considered was Louisiana but not until we could afford a nice house on land and in a good area, along with private school for our son because the public school system doesn't have a good reputation. So, probably not for a really, really long time.

jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:22 PM

not florida.. lol. 

2girlsandadream
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Oregon. Its the only state I will ever live in.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:24 PM
Florida is a huge adjustment. You lose all 4 seasons. There are bugs everywhere. It's hot. Disgustingly hot.

I do not recommend Florida. At all.
MsBlueBelle
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I can't wait to get out of Alabama.  I am retired and my children are grown and on their own.  It is just me and my service dog and his pet cat.   I have the same income no matter where I choose to live. 

ZakkarysMom
by Gold Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM
I wouldn't want to move. I love Wisconsin. =)
wkukid
by Beach Bum on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this

If money wasn't important I'd move to Kauai. We vacation there as much as we can afford to, it's just beautiful. I love the beaches and hiking areas. They have the cutest outdoor shop areas.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Ruby Member on Sep. 8, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Of your choices, North Carolina. I've only heard good things about it, which I can't say about the others.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)