Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you allowed to drive your dh/so car?

Posted by   + Show Post

Update: I think it's funny how many are bashing that I have a used car and dh a new one and equating this with how much he just love and respect me. I am a sahm. I don't have to work, we are financially responsible and not on any PA. We live frugally and we at this time cannot afford 2 new cars without giving up savings. My car is not a necessity it is an extra. I'm grateful to have it.

Letting dh have something of his own, the only thing solely his, is not a big deal when he works extremely hard to provide for our family so I don't have to work.

I feel sorry for the husbands if those of you who frankly seem selfish. Can't your husband have ONE thing to call his own?

Dh bought me a 13 yr old van. Then he bought himself a brand new Subaru Impreza.

He said he prefers I not drive his car unless necessary.

This is the first time he's ever been possessive if something. It's his first brand new car. I am surprisingly not offended. I told him I'm fine just driving the van.

Would you be mad? Is your dh/so the same way?
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 2:15 AM
Replies (761-770):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:29 PM
I would be mad. BUT only because my df spends any bit of extra money he has on his toys. So I wouldn't be really happy if he got a NEW car and said he preferred if I didn't drive it.
Right now in our house, we each have a car and his is a stick so I don't drive it because I CAN'T. If I could, I'd be mad if he asked me not to.
Mrs.Mommy081012
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:31 PM
We share a for now, but we are married but whats his is mine and whats mine is mine. Nothing is just his or just mine, we are a team and we share everything.
MSTEWY
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:31 PM
2 moms liked this
If ur married they should be both ur cars. U say a lot seem selfish on here, but u asked the question. Most of us do think its pretty lame to tell ur wife please try not to drive my car. If you didn't feel this way a little U wouldn't have posted this. Yes, it's stupid and insane that ur husband ask u not to drive his car.
elisesmom922
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:32 PM

This. I hate DH's car and don't drive it unless necessary.

Quoting 3MusketeerMama:

Yep, I can drive his (although I don't very often) and he drives mine too. Even though we have our own cars, we are married so we share. We don't have separate bank accounts either.

Ticker id: NomlLilypie - (ZEi4)

LeCoeurdelaMer
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:34 PM

We have separate cars (acquired individually prior to the marriage). He does not drive mine, I don't drive his - and I like it that way. What I don't like is since his is a mess and a lot older, when we go out together or travel by car, I am the one doing all the driving.  If the cheapskate ever buys a new car, we will ride in his and he can drive me around. :)

lnmartin1017
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:34 PM
He drives a 2001 Honda Civic & I drive a 2010 Honda CRV. We got the CRV in July. Technically they are both mine on paper. I can't drive manual so don't drive his. He'll drive the CRV sometimes if we go somewhere on the weekends and take it.
kaydence0207
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Agreed! My fiance would always want us to have the more reliable car. He is always worried if we are safe and taken care of. He's given his life for his family. Including his super nice/ fast car when I met him, for something more suitable for my daughter (who was 4 when I met him) and our son that will be here in December...

Quoting bklynmama716:

I would think that as a sahm you would be the one who needs the newer car. I assume you drive your children around in that 13 year old van? Cars that old have a tendency to break down quickly and are generally less safe than a newer vehicle. I work so I pay my own car note but I refuse to drive a used car only because I had a very bad experience when I was a teen. Apparently I had a gas leak in the 10 year old car I was driving and the car went up in flames with me in it! I literally narrowly escaped being killed in that car. We live in NYC so it's easy for my dh to take the subway to work. Just be sure to get that can checked often.

AF_Petite
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:35 PM
I'm not so sure if I would be "mad." DH likes me driving his jeep and wants me to get better at driving stick so he always encourages me to do so. I rather drive my own car since I'm more comfortable with it.
3MusketeerMama
by EmmaRye Pie on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I am nervous driving my husband's truck because it is a lot bigger than my car so I prefer to stick to my own car that I am comfortable with!

Quoting elisesmom922:

This. I hate DH's car and don't drive it unless necessary.

Quoting 3MusketeerMama:

Yep, I can drive his (although I don't very often) and he drives mine too. Even though we have our own cars, we are married so we share. We don't have separate bank accounts either.

Sc1
by Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this
^_^ this

Quoting vegaswife2011:

Yes I drive his car. Sometimes I don't even ask! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)