Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Racist "tip" on red lobster bill

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:53 AM
  • 327 Replies

Tennessee Red Lobster Waitress Gets Handwritten Tip: ‘None, N*gger’

by DAVID BADASH on SEPTEMBER 9, 2013

in DISCRIMINATION,NEWS

Post image for Tennessee Red Lobster Waitress Gets Handwritten Tip: ‘None, N*gger’

A nursing student working few days a week in a Nashville, Tennessee Red Lobster says she was surprised when a couple in their 20′s wrote in the tip section of their receipt, “none n*gger.” 19-year old Toni Christina Jenkins posted a photo of the receipt to her Facebook page, writing, “This is what I got as a tip last night…so happy to live in the proud southern states..God Bless America, land of the free and home of the low class racists of Tennessee.”

Later, Jenkins urged her friends to “Keep it up please..the more you share the more awareness we create.” She also wrote, ”Thank you everyone for your love. I’m continuing to keep my head up as God has already begun giving me beauty for ashes.”

After Gawker and other media outlets caught wind of the story, some have questioned if it really happened, suggesting she wrote the slur herself. Other cite the handwriting in the tip area as different from the signature.

But Jenkins also wrote of Facebook that “News 2 is on the job!,” and later, “I’m not reading anymore post or answering anyone else direct messages..I’m now getting harassed about the validity of the receipt. If u know me u know how to reach me.”

Jenkins told London’s Daily Mail, “I don’t get tips all the time. I really don’t care cause God is my provider I don’t worry about tips.”

“They were extremely rude, but I introduced myself to them and they didn’t respond. When I came to take their orderm they simply told me they wanted their food and to put everything in a to-go box. I offered them dessert but they told me abruptly that they just wanted the check.”

“When I went back to the table they had gone and left the receipt and had written the comments.”

“It’s all very surprising to me. When I posted it I thought it might get a few ‘likes’ from friends and family. People praying for me, that kind of thing. I didn’t think it would escalate this quickly. I am just a 19-year-old nursing student.”

This is just horrible. Some people are just disgusting!

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:55 AM
14 moms liked this
Hmm the signature and the writing above does look different to me, and it wouldn't be far fetched to think someone would do that for attention and possibly a pay out.

If it did happen though I feel for her because that's just wrong plain and simple.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamaBerg85
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Hmmm
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM
3 moms liked this
Hmmm one question now that I've thought for a moment is why, if this happened, did they just not ask for another server?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SavdNSanctified
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:57 AM
24 moms liked this

Oh whatever. I don't believe any of these "reciept messages" stories anymore.

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:58 AM
2 moms liked this

I noticed that too but it says the customers were a couple maybe the man wrote part of it and the woman wrote the other part but it could be fake who knows. If it is true though those people are horrible.

Quoting Roxygurl:

Hmm the signature and the writing above does look different to me, and it wouldn't be far fetched to think someone would do that for attention and possibly a pay out.

If it did happen though I feel for her because that's just wrong plain and simple.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Quoting Roxygurl:

Hmmm one question now that I've thought for a moment is why, if this happened, did they just not ask for another server?

Yep. They could even have pointed out a white server and asked -for that server over there.

Or even just asked for a server who was white, because they once had bad service from a black server in that restaurant. They would have been accomodated.

leakymommy2
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this
I live in that area. I don't believe this at all
mamav2215
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM
17 moms liked this

well my signature looks vastly different than my writing. so that doesn't make me disbelieve her story. I could see someone faking it... but regardless... there are idiots who think this way.

southernpixie
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM
3 moms liked this

I'm from the south and I would never leave something like that on a receipt.  I usually leave tips unless the service is really subpar.  I don't care what race you are, if you do a good job, I leave a good tip.  

But like someone else pointed out, I'm not sure of the validity of it.  People do crazy stuff for attention!

mamav2215
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:00 AM
2 moms liked this

are you suggesting this is acceptable to do?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Roxygurl:

Yep. They could even have pointed out a white server and asked -for that server over there.

Or even just asked for a server who was white, because they once had bad service from a black server in that restaurant. They would have been accomodated.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)