Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you require your kids buy their own groceries?

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:47 AM
  • 214 Replies

Mom Makes Her Kids Pay for Their Own Food

by Jeanne Sager

family rulesWhen our kids are born, we want to give them the world. As they grow up and find out that there are "made for TV" products, we quickly adjust our plans. We'll give them everything ... within reason. Suddenly the question is, what's within reason? Is it within reason to expect a kid to buy their own ... groceries?

With the response one single mom is getting for her "rules" for her teenagers, it seems there are plenty of parents out there who would have no problem asking the kids to go buy their own eats.

The mother, who is going back to school herself, posted a photo of a whiteboard listing her new family rules to Reddit. On it, she declares there is no "maid, butler, laundress, cook, valet, errand runner, or other employed help here."

I'm with her. I'm my daughter's mother. Not her servant. I'm even with her on most of her rules -- from "to your dishes" to "pick up your mess." But she loses me when she tells her children:

Yes, you can buy a few groceries.

Folks, I'm a mom. It's my job to provide my child with the basic necessities. And the way I see it, that includes groceries.

It isn't fair to burden kids with figuring out where their next meal will come from because you got too busy to hit the supermarket. It's certainly not appropriate to make your kids pay for the food in your fridge. You're still the parent. They're still the kids, especially when they're still in high school (one of her children is in college, the other a high school senior).

Now, might I expect my teenager to buy her own eats if she goes out to the mall with her friends at 16 and hits the food court? Sure. If she's got her own job, extras like that might be on her.

But groceries aren't extra. They're part of the three basics of human life: food, shelter, and clothing. If you can't give those to your kid, what are you doing being a parent?

Would you require your kids buy their own groceries?

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:50 AM
3 moms liked this
I wouldnt require it, and it doesn't sound to me like the mother that wrote this is.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:50 AM

I wouldn't. This is just something I feel is a basic responsibility of a parent when they choose to have a kid, you feed them lol. However, I wont allow my kids to work while still in school, so it would be ridiculous for me to expect them to help with expenses.

mom2theA-team
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:51 AM
12 moms liked this

I would require it if they wanted to eat like crap, many teenagers DO. If you want chips, crackers, random frozen stuff... Buy it yourself. I'm not using MY money to kill you. I love you. If you don't give a damn about your health as a +16 year old, you can pay for those foods. 

momoftwo0406
by Ruby Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:53 AM
3 moms liked this
I would buy the needs and if they wanted extras or treats then they can buy them at that age.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BaconQueen
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Depends on the groceries. If they want crap food like soda, doughnuts, chips etc. They can buy it themselves. 

Fartinator
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this
I wouldn't, unless they wanted to eat totally different stuff than what I cook.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Hell no that is a parents responsibility 100%.

Kriskash25
by Kristina on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Nope imo, I'm to provide for them until they are done with highschool or college if they attend!

Karen_29
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:57 AM
I wouldnt...it is my job as a parent to feed my kids.
ZombieMeat
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I buy plenty of food so my daughter will not be required to pay for her own food. Even when she goes to college, she will be given a food allowance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)