Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Complained to the teacher today. Would this pi*s you off? ***Update with letter sent to teacher***

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 2:28 PM
  • 396 Replies
5 moms liked this

My 3 year old is in 4 day a week half day PreK. EDITED TO ADD, this is a private preschool and program designed specifically for autistic children.  She is no where near the most severe autistic child there...Most of the children are NOT potty trained. 

I've had a developmental pediatrician, pediatric psychologist and ABA therapist all tell me she needs the social interaction that PreK offers. 

She isn't fully potty trained, we are still working on that.  The school told me it's no big deal, many of the children aren't.  She is autistic and won't say, "hey I have to potty" you have to watch for her ques and take her to the bathroom.

Every day I send her to school with a backpack full of pullups, wipes, an extra uniform (skirt, shirt and socks) and even an extra pair of shoes in her back pack, just in case.

Today I pick her up and she doesn't have socks on, just her shoes...upon further inspection she has poop on the front and back of her shirt, her shoe, and her skirt 0.O

I ask the teacher's aid "why is my child in this condition?" while pointing to her lack of socks and poop on her shirt... her eyes get big and she tells me to speak to the teacher.

Teacher says, "when we were changing her she wouldn't hold still and made a mess"

Me: "ok, so why weren't her uniform, socks and shoes changed?"

Teacher: "I thought I got it all off, she wouldn't stay still."

Me: "this is why I send her to school every day with a COMPLETE change of clothes, you don't try to wipe off poop, you change her clothes, if you can't handle having my child in your class, let me know and I will speak to the head master and have her switched to another class, because I pay way too much in tuition and fees for my child to sit in soiled clothes, this is why I am not sending her to a public school."     (the public schools are atrocious in my state)

Teacher:  *blank stare*  I'm sorry.

When I got her to my office, she had poop on her butt still! 

Would this piss you off?  I'm giving the teacher another chance before I go to the headmaster.

***UPDATE***

So, I sent the teacher this email...

I understand and can appreciate that teaching special needs 3 year old's can be overwhelming at times and we all have our good and bad days.  From a parent's perspective, it's very hard to let our 3 year old's go off to school, especially when a child is special needs.  I just want to know that my child is receiving the best care possible while she is away from me.  I will be completely honest and say that I was quite shocked to see her in the condition she was in yesterday, which spawned my "Mama bear moment".  So today lets start with a clean slate.

In her backpack today you will find a few sensory toys and her Peppa Pig doll that she carries everywhere, these will help keep her still while she is being changed or going to the bathroom.  I will keep these sensory toys, along with a clean uniform, pullups, socks and shoes in her backpack, every day.  Please, please, please, if you have any issues don't hesitate to call me, I think you'll agree that a clear and open line of communication is extremely important between teachers and parents. 

As Always,

(my name)

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2013 at 2:31 PM
19 moms liked this

yes you should go in and demand the teacher does things your way, hmmm maybe she can come to your job and tell you how you should do it.  then you'll know how youre making her feel.

she did take care of your child and made a mistake , she missed some. apparently you never make mistakes and are perfect.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2013 at 2:33 PM
27 moms liked this

She's 3 and maybe not ready for this setting, private school or not

collectivecow
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 2:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I would be infuriated. It sounds like there is more to the story than she is letting on. However, upon further reflection, I would also explain how I handle tough situations with my child to help her out.

chickensmommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 2:34 PM
7 moms liked this
I feel bad for the teacher. She does not sound like a special Ed teacher and may not have what it takes to work with your dd.
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Sep. 9, 2013 at 2:35 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

yes you should go in and demand the teacher does things your way, hmmm maybe she can come to your job and tell you how you should do it.  then you'll know how youre making her feel.

she did take care of your child and made a mistake , she missed some. apparently you never make mistakes and are perfect.

LOL

CarSeatMomma
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like they are frustrated And taking it out on your baby.
KGreen75
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 2:35 PM
It's not hard to realize "oh hmm, this kid has shit all over her uniform, I should probably go ahead and put her other uniform on her."

If my job was being in charge 12 special needs kids, you bet your ass I would want someone to tell me if I were lacking.

She isn't the only one in the room. She has 3 aids at all times.

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Sep. 9, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting chickensmommy:

I feel bad for the teacher. She does not sound like a special Ed teacher and may not have what it takes to work with your dd.

This. OP is the preschool teacher equipped to handle special ed kids?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

okay then why do you invite the teacher to your job and she can tell you how to do it, since she doesnt know how to do her own job.

Quoting KGreen75:

It's not hard to realize "oh hmm, this kid has shit all over her uniform, I should probably go ahead and put her other uniform on her."

If my job was being in charge 12 special needs kids, you bet your ass I would want someone to tell me if I were lacking.

She isn't the only one in the room. She has 3 aids at all times.

Quoting Anonymous:

j3st3r
by Jedi on Sep. 9, 2013 at 2:37 PM
5 moms liked this

It sounds like this the first time this has happened, so I think you are overreacting.  Do you expect them to call you if they can't get her clean?  Bathe her?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured