Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

advice about my 2 yr old and flying

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies
I will be traveling by airplane with my almost 2 year old! Any advice for me? Check his car seat in, bring it on the plane? I purchased his own seat because he can't be considered a lap child anymore. Do they require him to be in his own seat or on my lap during take off and landing? I'm afraid he will want to be on my lap the entire time!
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweetfox3
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Take his seat onto the plane so he has his own, familiar seat.  Plus, it is safer than the belt alone.  Use either a gogo babies luggage strap to strap it to your suitcase or strap the seat to a luggage carrier thingie and use that as a stroller in the airport. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM
How long is the flight? Do you have an iPad or any other tablet? I would definitely take one
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:23 PM
About a 2 hr flight. Yes I do have a kindle fire he uses for movies!

Quoting Anonymous:

How long is the flight? Do you have an iPad or any other tablet? I would definitely take one

CarSeatMomma
by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Please don't check a car seat. They throw it around, you might as well buy a new one when you land because it's been treated as it was in a crash. 

I bought a used gogobabyz kidz travel mate. I used it as a stroller between flights. 

http://www.gogobabyz.com/product-i14550-c26-gogo_Kidz_Travelmate_.aspx

I bought mine used.  I ordered the strap that goes through the forward facing belt path so it was easy to put it on and take it off quickly.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:27 PM
You really don't need a carseat not that much room on planes. Just bring a few favorite toys. Crayons color book. Ask if you child can look at the cockpit. Just recently flew with my 3yro
Karopie_99
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Take the carseat on the plane if there is room to use it! Because you can strap them in and they deal much better cause its kinda like a car ride. No carseat, they bounce all over
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Oh that's not bad. I traveled with my son to see my parents every year since he was an infant. Do you have an early flight? I always book an early one because those are less likely to get delayed. Make sure to being extra snacks too

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:32 PM

If you can haul his carseat around the airport (and it is FAA approved), that would be best. It's more familiar to him and offers him the chance to nap.

If that's not an option, they sell a harness system (that we bought for DS), that straps to any airplane seat and is better than just the lap belt as a restraint.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:33 PM
Yes its an 8:30 am flight! I didn't realize early flights are less likely to be delayed!

Quoting Anonymous:

Oh that's not bad. I traveled with my son to see my parents every year since he was an infant. Do you have an early flight? I always book an early one because those are less likely to get delayed. Make sure to being extra snacks too

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Really? Where did u find that??

Quoting B1Bomber:

If you can haul his carseat around the airport (and it is FAA approved), that would be best. It's more familiar to him and offers him the chance to nap.

If that's not an option, they sell a harness system (that we bought for DS), that straps to any airplane seat and is better than just the lap belt as a restraint.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN