Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question for moms with twins...

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:40 PM
  • 31 Replies

I don't understand movies like "It Takes Two" and "The Parent Trap" and "Baby Geniuses" where these twins switch places and the parents DON'T FUCKING NOTICE!!!! I seriously don't understand how someone can replace your child with a stranger that looks just like them and no one notices. It's always the butler and/or the nanny that notices and the parents are completely clueless. Wtf? I know it is a movie and that is not how it is in real life but I just want to know how someone could not notice. It is one thing for friends to not notice (although I had twin friends in middle school and I could always tell them apart) but their PARENTS?

Also, in the case of "The Parent Trap" how do you separate your kids and never get to know the other or never let them know their sister. Twins are not interchangeable. Having one child doesn't make up for knowing the other.

I have a friend with 8 year old identical twins and she can tell who is who from the back of the head on the other side of the room.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:41 PM
1 mom liked this

I am a twin and I can honestly say that it was pretty frickin easy to confuse people including my parents.

bcoll
by Brandi on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:43 PM

Well neither of my sets are identical so that's not an issue. But they are so close I couldn't imagine separating them.

Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:44 PM

I can see, maybe, with tiny babies that look and act the same but I'm thinking more like at 12 or 13. Could she not tell you apart then? And if she never knew one of you, how can she miss that there is a switch?

Quoting Anonymous:

I am a twin and I can honestly say that it was pretty frickin easy to confuse people including my parents.

CafeMom Tickers

Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Wow, two sets of twins? How did you manage that? Were they back to back or did you have a single birth in between?

Quoting bcoll:

Well neither of my sets are identical so that's not an issue. But they are so close I couldn't imagine separating them.

CafeMom Tickers

KylesWifey
by Silver Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I'm a twin, and we had 5 sets of twins in school with us. (Me and my twin were the only NON identical). I can remember the twins swapping all the time for math test and such. I'd just laugh when the wrong one would come into class and sit next to me for a midterm or something. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:47 PM

No as long as we were dressed alike neither of our parents could tell very well. They could only tell when they made us say a paticular phrase as we had a slight speech diffrence when we said it.

Quoting Razzle_Dazzle1:

I can see, maybe, with tiny babies that look and act the same but I'm thinking more like at 12 or 13. Could she not tell you apart then? And if she never knew one of you, how can she miss that there is a switch?

Quoting Anonymous:

Jessy76
by Gold Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:47 PM
Yah I don't get those movies either. I can tell my twins apart by their voices, their sneezes, even the way they walk is different.
firespurity
by Ruby Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:49 PM
My mother always caught my brothers when they switched places, because the forgot their socks. And family members already have similar mannerisms, it's amplified more with twins.
Jamabot5
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:49 PM

My twins are boy/girl, so I don't really qualify, lol.

But I never understood those movies, either.  From the day they were born, I knew which baby was crying in another room just by the sound, so I imagine I'd be able to tell identical twins apart.

But I will say, my husband was really freaked out about the possibilty of identical twins, since he was sure he'd mix them up.

MotherLady
by Platinum Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 5:51 PM
I am a twin (identical), twin mom (b/g) and twin
Aunt (identical). I've honestly never understood it either.

Or like on Friends when Chandler and Joey lose Ben on the bus. How did they do that?!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured