Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Homeschooling vs. Public Schooling?

Posted by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:02 PM
  • 131 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm curious about people's views on homeschooling and public schooling, the benefits and disadvantages of each.

I was a person who thought that homeschooling was only for those "crazy ladies," in my defense it was when I was younger!

My kids keep asking for me to homeschool them, they are happy with their school and we have had no issues. They go to a really nice charter school, hands on learning 15 to 1 ratio, only 4 days a week M-Th, uniforms, small community feel, electives, art class, Spanish class, it's a great school; I love it and they love it!

I use attachment parenting and they and I are extremely attached, they say they miss me too much. I struggle to get them out of the car some mornings; my 3rd grader cried the other morning, when she had to get out of the car. I have made sure, it isn't that they don't like school and aren't getting bullied; and honestly the school is small, they have moral training and don't tolerate bulling.

I also am getting tired of missing them also, I feel like I might be missing these precious years, where they still need and want me.

At the same time I'm scared of the lack of socialization, the commitment and the judgments I might face if I choose homeschooling!

I have a 6th grader, a 3rd grader, a kindergartner and a 1 year old. They all have expressed they would prefer me to homeschool them and they know I'm not a push over, I rule my house with an iron fist. All summer we did lessons from 8-12PM. Also, I'm in college to obtain a teaching degree, so I love teaching!

Update Below:

Thank you to all that replied, with polite responses; I appreciate the input! I'm sorry that there were some disputes,  I hate when that happens; I am learning that not all adults act like adults lol! Well I have decided to leave them in their wonderful charter school, main reason being that I don't want to be responsible for their socialization. I hate socializing and the thought of having to seek out groups and other mothers, was too much for me! So again really thanks for all the comments, I had not thought about having to socialize, just the academics of homeschooling! For those that thought I was overly attached to my kids, yes I am overly attached, but promise you that they will be fine. My parents used attachment parenting and we have a great relationship, they live only 5 houses down from me and are very involved in all my children's lives, as well as mine! 

by on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:04 PM
2 moms liked this
I homeschool, not for those reasons but if you join a local group and are active they will get tons of socialization.
tooptimistic
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I homeschool, and am a part of local group, so my children are very social. 

Kriskash25
by Kristina on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:06 PM
Why did you choose to homeschool?
Quoting bmw29:

I homeschool, not for those reasons but if you join a local group and are active they will get tons of socialization.
Kriskash25
by Kristina on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:08 PM

Why did you choose to homeschool? What are your favorite things about homeschooling? What are your challenges if any?

Quoting tooptimistic:

tooptimistic
by Bronze Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Their charter sounds really good, have you thought about volunteering at the school?  That way you can be involved without having to homeschool.  :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:12 PM
1 mom liked this

The charter school sounds great!  My DD had a terrible 3rd grade and didn't want to go to school.   We are extremely close as well and I knew she had some social anxieties and wanted to be home.    If your kids are doing well in school and only want to homeschool because they miss you....I don't know if that would be enough reason for me. It sounds a bit manipulative.  I am the youngest and my brother always wanted to be home with me and mom instead of going to school.     If you decide to homeschool, then be sure to join a homeschooling group or cooperative so your kids do get interaction with other kids and adults :-)

ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:15 PM
3 moms liked this

I homeschool for many reasons.  As for for socialization there are TONS of options out there. Co-ops,  sports, clubs and so on. Our library does a lot of stuff we are starting to go to. My kids want to join 4-h when they are old enough. My son played little league and wants to join again next year. He wants to play football when he's older too. My daughter wants to play little league (she's only 3 though) and wants to take horseback riding so we are looking into that.

Don't worry about the judgments. You will be judged by some no matter what.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:16 PM
We will be homeschooling.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:17 PM
1 mom liked this

I live in Florida, where it is not unusual to have 30 kids in a small classroom.  My son is high functioning autistic, with many sensory issues, so a classroom would be a nightmare for him.  He is in first grade reading on a fourth grade level, and the schools here cater to the lowing preforming kids.

My four year old was born with a birth defect that left her with only half of a right lung, so the germs at public schools scare us.  In our homeschool group if someone is sick they let me know, or they are careful not to participate so they don't "infect" everyone else on purpose.

By homeschooling my little guy can go into more detail on subjects and read at his level.  We spent the afternoon measuring the temparatures of things because he really liked his science lesson today and wasn't ready to stop.  If he is stemming, we can take extra time until he stops.  If he needs a break, we take one.  The look on his face when he really gets something is priceless!!

My biggest challenge is judgmental people who are always wanting to tell me what is best for my children.  :)  Public school doesn't work for everyone, and it would be unfair to my son for him to be in public school.  He would also be distracting to other kids around him when he is stemming or melting down.

It is alot of work, and I spend at least five hours a week planning and getting things together. 

Quoting Kriskash25:

Why did you choose to homeschool? What are your favorite things about homeschooling? What are your challenges if any?

Quoting tooptimistic:

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Sep. 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM
2 moms liked this

You sound like a perfect candidate.  Join a group for some field trips and give it a try!  You can always send them back to a school later, should you choose to do so.

You are right.  You do not get these years back. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)