Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Going back to school at 41?

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:21 AM
  • 23 Replies

I am a divorced mom of 2. Kinda of in a rut in my life.. I never went to college much, last schooling I had was 20 years ago when Travel school was still popular to be a travel agent before the internet took over everything.

I have been insome sort of  sales, mainly I.T. for 13 years and burned out and really not that great at it but have made a decent living supporting my kids. I have a mortgage and a buttload of responsibility and now that I am 40 its getting harder for me to find jobs if one falls through.

I have NO medical training but was thinking of going to school part time at night for phlebotomy so at least i have training to fall back on then I was going to take a medical lab assistant course. It sounds wierd mixing I.T. and then healthcare on a resume quite a variance. i know neither of these courses pay a ton but was hoping to work part time as a second job to at least gain experience.

Am I wierd for wanting to do this? Is it odd going to school for a totally opposite field i have never worked in?

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babesprincess03
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:21 AM
Good for u.. its never to late
Laesmommy
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:23 AM
I'm in nursing school at a community college and so many of the women in my classes are 30-50's. Going back for a different degree then they originally got. Or getting their first degree. It can definitely be worth going back to school.
luvschocolate
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this

It's never too late, and medical field is the way to go.  I would suggest getting your medical ast. degree, takes about 18 months then get riders on top of that for the lab asst. and phlebotomy course.  I'm 41 and in the  same boat you are , Except That I have no way to pay for school.  Once I save up enough that will be my plan, may even get certified ad an X-ray tech as well.  Good luck to you

Oliviasmom72
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:27 AM

RN I was looking into but the cost....i work full time and have 2 young kids and a mortgage I do not know how I will swing it.  I am absolutely terrible at math and afraid of taking all the math and science stuff so that pretty much excludes that i think. I have no health care experience so phlebatomy and medical lab assistant look do able for time and cost. What exactly are clinicals in the RN program?

wifeofvet
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:28 AM
No! Your never to old for an education.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Not at all. There was a 54 year old in my husband's Masters program. Sadly he didnt get a job after school. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:32 AM
I'm 40 & considering going back to school. I REALLY wanted to go for Vet Tech but, there are no schools for that in my area.
Oliviasmom72
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:39 AM

i feel like a big ol dummy. I suck at math and I dont think I could pass a college level math course so that limits my options.

squeekers
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:39 AM

more power to you, go for it Momma.

Oliviasmom72
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:40 AM

medical assistant, phlebotomy and lab tech. Now thats an idea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)