Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I NEED HELP WITH MY SON!!!!!!

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:16 AM
  • 53 Replies

I am in quite a dilemma here and it has been going on for quite some time. There are several things that DS has been doing for well over a year now and all my efforts to put a stop to it have had no luck. So here's whats been going on.

My son likes to steal food. Whether it be from the pantry,cupboard,fridge,or even a secret goody stash that i keep for good behaviour! He does this on a daily basis. He hides stuff. Hes stolen ice cream out of the freezer, tortilla chips, you name it, hes probably had it stashed in his room. He eats constantly but when he does this it makes me feel like I'm not giving him enough.

Whenever I cook anything whether it be breakfast, lunch, or dinner, or even a snack, if he doesn't want to finish it, he shoves it under the couch, behind my steamer trunk, etc. I don't know what to do about all this! And I don't know why hes doing it.

My son now has a new found obsession with peeing on everything in his room. From his bed to his dresser to the floor, his toys, the walls, and here lately in the air vent on the floor. his room smells terrible no matter what I do. Is this normal?

His attitude. He is so angry and disgruntled towards everything. He says he hates everyone and doesn't want to live here anymore. It hurts my feelings when he says he hates me and wishes me dead. I don't know whats going on with him to make him behave in such a manner

My son is the only boy with three sisters. His sisters are ages 11,5,and 11mths. He is 4 yrs old and is a good boy for the most part. Before we had our now 11mth old daughter he was doing this. So i know it has nothing to do with her being here. I just wish I had some answers as to why he does these things and behaves in the manner he does. I am worried that he is Bi-Polar:(

Someone please help me. I am loosing my mind and am about to have a nervous breakdown because of this.

shrugging                 frustrated

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this
First of all, you need a "we only eat at the table rule."

Secondly, good luck. I have no idea.
lovemymini
by Emerald Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this
A bipolar diagnosis would be way off base at 4. Stop labeling your child and take him to a child therapist something is going on with him. Don't allow them to medicate him either.

I however do not consider taking food as stealing. You should be more concerned about him hoarding it.

Did this behavior start with the arrival of his younger sister??

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:20 AM
I have no idea. I would talk to someone. This is not normal.
PinkButterfly66
by Emerald Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Have you talked to your pedi for a referral to get an evaluation?  Something is not right.  Depression, ODD or something else is going on.

lovingmommy4316
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Talk to pediatrician about it. they my refer you to a therapist or someone else that can help.
Ablanton_5
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:24 AM

We already do this....Thats when he decides to shove it under the couch etc. I hate that i have to keep everything under lock and key!

Quoting Anonymous:

First of all, you need a "we only eat at the table rule."

Secondly, good luck. I have no idea.

ramita
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Have you taken him to a therapist? If not you really should none of these are normal behavior. An adult should sit with him until he is done eating. You may consider putting locks on the snack cabinets and the fridge (you could probably even get a combination one so oldest DD can get into them as well). If he urinates on something make him clean it up. These are the only ideas I have. Good luck!
Arwynn
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:25 AM
2 moms liked this
Sounds like he needs some attention. He gets it when he does bad things but doesnt realuze it is negative vs. positive attention.

On the food stealing - give him his own bin of food he can eat whenever he wants within reason. If he doesn't eat dinner then he doesnt get a snack from his bin. (I hope that makes sense).

On the anger - he needs to learn coping skills. Count to 10 & walk away. Deep breathe. My 7 year old started meditating at 4 or 5 because it was the only way to keep him still for a few minutes.

Punishment needs to happen with the hiding of dinner plates. Sit down to family dinner at the table. Dont let him walk away with the plate. Eat with him. If he doesnt eat dinner and gets hungry later warm his food back up and plant him at the table. If he refuses then he goes to bed hungry. Yes, I am quite serious.
Ablanton_5
by Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:27 AM

You failed to miss this:

He is 4 yrs old and is a good boy for the most part. Before we had our now 11mth old daughter he was doing this. So i know it has nothing to do with her being here. I just wish I had some answers as to why he does these things and behaves in the manner he does.

And also me being a mom with Bi-Polar and ADHD, I know it can be genetically linked. So your judgments go without saying. I am asking for advice not judgment!

eye rolling

Quoting lovemymini:

A bipolar diagnosis would be way off base at 4. Stop labeling your child and take him to a child therapist something is going on with him. Don't allow them to medicate him either.

I however do not consider taking food as stealing. You should be more concerned about him hoarding it.

Did this behavior start with the arrival of his younger sister??

Arwynn
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:28 AM
The peeing on everything I am guessing is a reversion - that sometimes happens with major changes like a new baby whi gets all of moms attention.

Ge cleans it up but quit letting him hear how upset you are about it. The less attention it gets the less he will "have fun" doing it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)