Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think autism is a "new" thing

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 261 Replies

Mobile Photo

My friend posted that. It seems inaccurate to me because a lot of kids were misdiagnosed in the 80's and are over diagnosed today. What's your opinion??
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JBiiirdD
by No Day but Today on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:29 AM
9 moms liked this
It is my opinion these things weren't as often heard of when I was a kid. Is it over-diagnosed? I think so. Just as I think ADHD is over-diagnosed. That's just my opinion however.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I have actually had a dr suggest testing for myself, thinking I could have aspergers. At this point in my life I don't see why it would matter. I am 24.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:31 AM
2 moms liked this

I agree that it has been a case of misdiagnosis along with a broader definition of what autism is.
The internet brings information to people like they didn't have before. So, more people are likely to seek out answers if they feel something is wrong.

BreezeAlanna
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:31 AM
11 moms liked this

Newsflash, autism is a spectrum disorder! You can't 'over diagnose' it. 

momto3nuts
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it's new, I just think that the umbrella term "autism" covers more now than it did before. I the 80s, some kids that were quiet and quirky, would be diagnosed as having aspergers today. I have kids on the autism spectrum, but I don't think any of them were vaccine induced autism. I'm fairly certain that my and my husbands family just have the genetic predisposition for it, so when we had kids together, BLAMO, they were born with autism.

caito
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:32 AM
8 moms liked this

Of course it's not a new thing. They had different diagnoses and didn't know as much about it in the past. They thought people were just "special" or "touched", or "slow". It's not like autism just miraculously appeared in the last 100 years.

momto3nuts
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:33 AM

After my children's diagnosis, their doctor made the same suggestion. I wouldn't doubt that they could diagnose me, but it wouldn't change a thing, so why bother? 

Quoting Anonymous:

I have actually had a dr suggest testing for myself, thinking I could have aspergers. At this point in my life I don't see why it would matter. I am 24.

L202M
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:33 AM
4 moms liked this

That's a possibility.  I wish they'd figure it out already.  I'm glad I am past having kids, so I don't have to worry.  When my son was born in 1990, I didn't have to worry about him getting shots.  I can't imagine how mothers today have to worry so much every time they take their kids to the dr's.

My biggest concern is why the extreme increase in vaccines. To go from 10 to 48 is insane.

babyspots17
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:34 AM
3 moms liked this

I think like all health concerns or "issues" they just weren't talked about in the past.  The strange kids were put in two categories either those put in a mental institution or those deemed "a little off". 

Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:34 AM
9 moms liked this

No, not new.

Yes, over diagnosed.

Also, not caused by vaccines. Just saying.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN