Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

This is why you don't take naps while your kids are awake and alone in house

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:48 AM
  • 210 Replies

There is a story of a missing 7 year old girl here in IL. The mom said she took a nap while the girl and her brother was watching "The Princess and the Frog". When the mom woke up, only the brother was there and when she asked him where his sister was, the boy only pointed towards the door.

The police are saying that the little girl may have left the house to "go on an adventure" like the girl in the movie.

This was as of 2:41 am

http://www.cnn.com/2013/09/10/us/illinois-girl-missing/?hpt=hp_t2

Despite massive search, no sign of missing 7-year-old Willow Long

By Leslie Bentz and Mayra Cuevas, CNN
updated 2:41 AM EDT, Tue September 10, 2013

Willow Long, 7, of rural Effingham County, Illinois, has been missing since Sunday.
Willow Long, 7, of rural Effingham County, Illinois, has been missing since Sunday.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • "Maybe she wanted to go on this adventure," an official says
  • She was watching TV right before she disappeared
  • More than 300 volunteers have helped search for Willow
  • Sheriff: "We have one goal; that is to find Willow"

(CNN) -- Police don't suspect foul play in the disappearance of 7-year-old Willow Long from a rural Illinois home over the weekend. But they're wondering if the movie she'd been watching at the time may have something to do with it: Disney's "The Princess and the Frog."

"We were thinking maybe she wanted to go on this adventure," said J.R. Nieman of the Watson fire department. "So we have checked bodies of water."

Willow was watching television with her brothers on Sunday when her mother, who wasn't feeling well, laid down for a nap. When she woke up, her daughter had vanished.

When she asked her 3-year-old son where her daughter was, he pointed to the front door.

Willow disappeared sometime between 9 a.m. and 10:15 a.m. The second grader left her glasses at home.

Willow evidently changed clothes before leaving her house. Police said the clothes her mother described her wearing when she last saw her were found in the family home.

Officials have covered about 18 square miles as of Monday evening, telling reporters in a news conference, "We want to make sure we cover everything."

There are several agencies helping with the search including the FBI, Effingham County Sheriff's Office, the Watson Police and the Illinois State Patrol. No Amber Alert has been issued for Willow, since foul play is not suspected.

Search dogs initially picked up trails around the family property, but there have been no other leads.

More than 300 volunteers have been helping to "double and triple search" as much of the area as possible, which is a mostly rural landscape.

The heat wave across the region has not helped; multiple volunteers have been taken to the hospital with symptoms relating to heat exposure, authorities said.

The volume of volunteers, while inspiring, has caused some confusion.

"There were some city folks that got lost in a corn field," one volunteer told CNN affiliate WICS. "They kept turning when the corn rows turned instead of walking straight through the field."

The heat has also caused complications with the thermal imaging technology that officials are using.

"We've had several planes and helicopters trying to find Willow," Effingham County Sheriff John Monnet said Monday. "But the fields are so hot that it's become harder to pinpoint the glow of body heat."

But investigators remain determined; "We have one goal; that is to find Willow".

Willow Long has shoulder-length red hair, is about 4 feet tall and weighs about 50 pounds.

And this was the update as of 5:24 am

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2013/09/10/body-found-in-search-for-missing-illinois-girl/

Body Found in Search For Missing Illinois Girl

The office of Effingham County State’s Attorney Bryan Kibler said in a press release that four volunteer searchers “located the body of a small child” south of Watson around 7:30 p.m. Monday night.

“No positive identification of the body has been made at this time. An autopsy to determine the child’s identity and cause of death is scheduled for later this morning,” the office said in a release.

Willow Long, 7, had been on a couch watching television with her younger brother on Sunday morning. When her mother returned to the room, only Willow’s brother was on the couch.

When asked where Willow had gone, her brother pointed to the door but didn’t speak.

The young girl’s mother called police immediately and police said Monday there was no indication of foul play.

In the statement Tuesday morning, the state’s attorney’s office said Illinois State Police and the Effingham County Sheriff’s Department continue to search for Willow. However, the Sheriff’s Department later announced that it was deconstructing its command center and calling off the search.

Hundreds of volunteers and first responders combed a 20-mile area around Willow’s home Sunday and Monday. An infrared camera was used Monday night.

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jaxsonsmama2009
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I will admit I have dozed off on the couch while my kids played in the living room. I can't imagine waking up and them being gone. Next time I'm feeling like i might do this I will have a cup of coffee. Yikes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:55 AM
12 moms liked this
This is so sad :-(

But this could have happened during bedtime. Kids have woken up during the night and walked away. Kids are harmed when their parents are awake! I can only imagine the pain this family is feeling. It's heartbreaking and I don't think you or anyone else should be placing blame on the mother :-(
kristen0812
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:56 AM
6 moms liked this
Ok, nap aside. I may spend 20 minutes down my basement doing laundry. My 5 year old KNOWS better than to ever walk out my front door alone or open the door for anyone unless it's her dad. Maybe the nap isnt the problem. Maybe it's not teaching her children right from wrong.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this

Shame on that mom for not feeling well. smh a 16 year old could go missing while mom napped too. Should we not nap or sleep at all even with our teens either?

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Absolutely heartbreaking :(
KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:57 AM

An ex friend of mine took a nap and her younger son jumped out the second story window. He luckily was fine. 

P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Things happen awake or asleep.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this
Thats why you teach your kids not to do such things. My 5 year old knows never to leave the house without me. I dont think it has really anything to do with the mother napping because this sort of thing could have happened as she was cooking dinner or doing laundry. If I nap I Nap in the living room where I can hear the doors and its right next to the kids room, we also have latches at the top of the doors that they can't reach.
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:59 AM
7 moms liked this

Eh I know my kids enough especially at flipping 7yrs old that they would never wander off.  Sorry but at 7yrs old you should be able to take a nap and not worry that a 2nd grader is going to wander off, hell when my kids where 4 and 5 they knew this.  Now if you were talking a 2 or 3yr old that is a different story completely.

mom011598
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:59 AM
6 moms liked this

It can happen at any age. I won't use a tragedy as an opportunity to fear monger. My heart goes out to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)