Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I hate common names

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Ley
  • 257 Replies
I was born in a year where Ashley was the #1 name for girls. I HATED it. There were always 4 or more other Ashleys in my class(es). Everyone I knew that had a common name hated it as well. So I developed a hatred for common names. I'm not big on "normal" spellings either. But your child is not my child. I won't say anything about your child's name unless you ask for my opinion, in which case I will be 100% honest with you. One of my good friends is naming her son Alexander Johnson. When she asked what I thought of it, I told her I absolutely hated it, but it was her son, not mine. We still get along fine. And quite a few of you have attacked me for my daughter's name. Get over it. She's not your daughter, she's mine. And as for her feeling like an outcast, MANY woman have unique names and aren't outcasts. Would you say that to an African-American woman with the name Swarkena? No, because it's normal for African-Americans to have unique names. When a caucasian does it is wen people flip out. It's becoming the norm for caucasians as well. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but that does not mean you have to be a rude bitch about it. There are those of us who just do not like "normal" spellings or common names.

There are some semi-common names that I like.

Ladies, it is an OPINION. As in, you don't have to agree with it. Nor do you have to tell me I suck or anything. I'm not going around telling you that you suck for not naming your child something I like, am I? Every parent's tastes are different. I am simply stating my opinion in hopes of a decent conversation with you ladies.

Also, just because a child has a unique name or spelling does not mean their parents were/are poor and uneducated. My daughter's name has a very different spelling and I have an Associate's degree in interior design, working on my Bachelor's. Her father is working on his Master's in psychology. We both work as well. So we are neither poor nor uneducated.
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 10:59 AM
8 moms liked this

my son's name is Liam

you can suck it, I love it

WaffleHead
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh ok
KelliansMom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM
3 moms liked this
I used to be jealous of everyone that could find all those personalized name stuff for school growing up. But I soon started living my name and how it wasn't shared with anyone I knew or went to school with. I however like names that are older and not on the top 100 list. But some names on that list I do like too.
Ashley1113
by Ley on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Liam is actually one of the more common boy's name that I love. I sincerely wish my df would consider it for our son, but he won't.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

my son's name is Liam

you can suck it, I love it

j3st3r
by Jedi on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM
19 moms liked this
There's a difference between "unique" and "ridiculous."
Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM
4 moms liked this
I feel like kids are unique enough without saddling them with a name that could hinder them professionally when they're adults. What sounds cute on the playground isn't going to sound dignified in the boardroom.
Ultimately, it's your child and you do what works best for you. Who cares if people approve?
HandMmom12
by Jody on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM
What are your qualifications for a name to be considered common?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Well there is nothing new under the sun. IMO if you pick a name simply to be unique it's stupid and attention whoring. Chances are the name is not unique as much as horrible sounding if it hasn't been chosen so much out of the 6 billion people we have on the planet.

Randi02
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:02 AM

My kids have common names.

They are popular now, but not regionally. My kids are the only ones in their SCHOOL with those names, there are certainly no doubles (or more) in their classes.

mojogirl
by RoseannRoseannadanna on Sep. 10, 2013 at 11:02 AM
2 moms liked this

well, goes to show that the grass is greener on the other side

i have a very uncommon name

and there are days i wish i didn't

whenever i have to give someone my name, like at starbucks or getting take-out, i always give them a fake name, cause its easier than saying my real name seven times and then having to spell it four times and then its still mispronounced or misspelled.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)