Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think she had the right to demand or expect someone to give up their seat for her?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 94 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think she had the right to demand or expect someone to give up their seat for her?

Options:

Yes

No

Other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 157

View Results

My family and I went to Disney World this past week (we don't have school ages kids yet). Well while we were on the bus at one point (for those who don't know, Disney World offers free bus shuttles from the hotels to the parks and from the parks to other Disney parks) We had  me holding our 3 month old in the sling and DH had our  2 1/2 year old and our almost 5 year old on his lap, there was only 2 seats left when we got on. Well we stopped at the next stop and a woman and  her DH got on. I didn't even notice  she was pregnant until she looked around and said to DH "seriously, not one person is going to give me their seat". So the man looked over at DH and said "maybe mom can hold the girls (they look just like me, no denying they are mine) so you can give your seat to my wife, she is pregnant you know". I said, "I am holding our baby and can't have 3 kids on my lap" I am assuming he didn't see the baby in the sling. Then I said "I don't see and able bodied person who is sitting who doesn't have a child on their lap" This bus load had 2 people in scooters, they take up 4 seats each and other then that it was either  people with young kids or older people (mostly older woman) sitting.

She ended up standing but complained the whole time (it's not a long ride at all) and glared at anyone who, I guess, she thought should have given her a seat, including a man old enough to be her grandfather who had a cane under his seat (though she may not have seen the cane).

Personally, I think if you get on the bus,when it is full, you do so with the expectation that you will be standing, if someone is nice enough to give up their seat, great but I don't think anyone should have to. IMO this goes for anyone, pregnant, children, or overweight.You can always  choose to wait for the next bus Though for the record, we me and DH go to Disney World by ourselves (we go for our anniversary for 2 days each year)  I give up my seat to pregnant women, older people and small children.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM

BUMP!

funlovinlady
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:24 PM
18 moms liked this

No. If she can hobble around Disney all day she can stand on the bus. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM

That's how I feel too. With the exception of young kids (who usually ride in strollers) if you can walk around Disney World all day, you are fine to stand on the bus if no one offers you their seat

Quoting funlovinlady:

No. If she can hobble around Disney all day she can stand on the bus. 

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM
I have been VERY pregnant and in pain, and ridden the bus when I have had to stand. I did not expect anyone to do anything for me.
bustybee
by Buzz Lightyear on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Ya. I would have just laughed at her
shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:26 PM
If you couldn't even tell she was pregnant then she doesn't fit into the category of pregnant woman that shouldn't be standing for long periods. Unless she was way overweight...

I think its never OK to assume that you deserve a seat for some condition, even if it is common courtesy for it to be offered.
themissheather
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM
6 moms liked this
I think it's reasonable to expect an able-bodied person to offer their seat for a pregnant woman. It was, however, completely out of line for her to say anything at all, much less be so rude about it.
bandzbandzbandz
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:28 PM

In general I'd have given up my seat or my boyfriend would have. Until she opened her mouth then we would have stayed and complained about the seats and say how we can't wait to get up. It's a courtesy people do for you when pregnant not a right you have. Why do some pregnant women think they are so fucking special? Years ago they worked in factories and fields, tend to house work until it popped out. Most of us have it easy these days. That would suck having to listen to her.

Curlyswirlymom
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a courtesy, not a given.  And I think that people holding multiple children are exempt from that courtesy.  Otherwise the children may break loose and wreak havoc on the bus (not saying yours would).  Then we'd have 8 million posts on here and Facebook about how children shouldn't be allowed on buses, and people with children should have to run along side the bus, or not go to Disney World. 

JamesMom714
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Amazingly women can stand AND be pregnant.

Sure if someone could give up a seat they should to be nice...but it seems those seated needed the seat already.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN