Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter was humiliated in the lunch line. . . by staff WITH UPDATE TO ANSWER ALL THE LOVELY QUESTIONS

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM
  • 330 Replies
1 mom liked this

My dd is a little over sensitive, but her lunch account was -.06 cents.  It is the school's policy to allow a student to get to $ -10 before they are made to eat PB and J. 

This week has been the first week of school up here.  I was thinking they'd send a notice home if there wasn't enough surplus leftover in their account from last year.  Like a "low balance" notification?

ANyway, the past two days the lunch lady who scans the lunch cards gave my DD a serious attitude.  In line.  In front of her peers.  for being overdrawn -.06. 

This pregnant mama has very little tolerance for stupidity, so I called the school lunch coordinator and asked about their policies concerning humiliating children with a negative balance in the school lunch line?  DOes this witch do the same thing to free and reduced lunch people?

And that's another thing. . . not like any kid deserves more respect than another, but we DO NOT QUALIFY for free or reduced anything.  WE BARELY make over the amount.  So if it takes a few days for me to put lunch money on my kid's account FREAKING FORGIVE ME AND DON'T TAKE IT OUT ON HER.  She's no where near the "PB and J" danger zone. 

Geez. 

I know I probably shouldn't ahve called, but I have a cold, I'm pregnant, my DH is deployed for the better part of a year, and I got slapped with an IRS audit today.  NOT a positive day.  I was surprised I was able to sound as pleasant and polite as I did on the phone!!!

Yes. . .I should have let it go.  but I didn't.  no miserable lunch lady is going to humiliate my kid for MY mistake. 

UPDATE:

Ok. .. I didn't expect all the replies to this. 

I need to clarify some things:

1.  I had a positive balance from last year, and at the end of the year got a letter telling me such.  MY kids started on Thursday last week.  So Tuesday and Wednesday ( the days with the issues concerning the lunch lady) were days 4 and 5 of school.  NO other notification was sent besides my DD telling me I owed money on day 5.  She forgot to tell me on Day 4.  THE interaction was so humiliating to her, that it was the first thing out of her mouth off the bus. 

As far as the interaction from the lunch lady:  DD said she huffed and puffed quite loudly, shook her head and said something under her breath.  Or something along those lines.  Her friends in line heard this and began asking questions.  THAT is what was humiliating to her, and i feel it was completely inappropriate behavior for school staff.  My daughter isn't perfect, but she does have a very strong moral compass.  If she says something was not right, I believe her. 

I specifically asked what happened, she said the lunch lady rolled her eyes, and muttered something under her breath and her friends who were standing beside her took notice and started asking her what was going on. 

My daughter is what everyone classifies as a "good" girl.  She is a model student, and an overall excellent human being.  Every single teacher has LOVED her.  She does not have an attitude and she is not a drama queen.  IF she says that something is really bothering her and NOT right, I can trust that.  This has NEVER happened before. 

Last year there were days that it slipped she needed money.  She never went below -5, and it was NEVER an issue.  Lunch ladies changed.  This woman is just miserable.  Having to juggle the entirety of my household, a pregnancy, and not having ANY family in this area to help makes it difficult for me. 

I could care less that you unsympathetic, RUDE mothers out there could give a crap less.  I am doing the best with the resources I have right now.  If things fall through the cracks, it's because I'm spread pretty thin taking care of the important stuff while DH is deployed. 

Yes.  DD should have had money in my account.  I SLIPPED.  I AM HUMAN, I MADE  A MISTAKE.  My daughter has NEVER had to eat PB and J, and we have ALWAYS paid full price for her meals and my son's meals. 

Even if I was -80, it gives that woman NO RIGHT to treat my kid with disrespect. 

I think this answers the majority of the questions asked. 

ALso, her lunch balance is now fixed.  NO where in here did it say I didnt have the money to pay.  I said 'if it takes a few days to put money on the account".  As in I'm handling things as best as I can right now, and some things are getting shuffled through the cracks.  I'm sure some perfect moms out there could balance everything, but with a deployed husband, no family here, two kids, and the entire responsibilities of the household falling on me, some things get forgotten.  I constantly have a list a mile long to take care of.  The list adjusts and changes as the day goes on.  I prioritize as best I can. 

My DD's feelings ARE important, which is why I put the money in yesterday, THE DAY that she came home and told me.  Lunch lady told her the day before, but dd forgot.  NO LOW bALANCE ShEET was sent home. 

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vegaswife2011
by Emerald Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Hugs mama :)

Katkinson
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:10 PM

DD is not a rude child, either. . . . you know. . . the kids who get on everyone's nerves.  She's sweet and really well liked.  She is respectful to her teachers and other adults as well as her peers.  Every teacher who has ever come in contact with her has loved her.  So I know it's not DD being a brat that is causing this attitude. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:11 PM

So what constitutes "her giving attitude"?

Melbornj
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:11 PM
5 moms liked this

Sounds like your responsibility and not the schools to keep track of it.  You wouldn't believe how much in the negative almost every school is at one time.  Pay the bill.

CeeGee81
by CanadaGirl on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I hope tomorrow is better for you!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for you for calling them and reporting the incident. They could have handled it in a better way instead of humiliating a child over six cents. Some of these lunch ladies are ridiculous.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:12 PM
Why didn't you make sure she had a positive balance BEFORE this incident had a chance to take place?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:13 PM
4 moms liked this

If she scanned her card twice when she was 6 cents in the hole wouldn't she owe more than 6 cents at that point?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

You have some responsiblity in this.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:14 PM
I don't think it's that big of a deal. Just send her with more lunch money and that will be the end of it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured