Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How's that education working out for you?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies

I have a friend I occasionaly talk to on facebook. She just finished college, while interning the entire time in the field she was majoring in, and got a job last week at a clothing company distrabution center packing clothes for shipment. She went to school for medical assisting.  She has been constantly complaining about how she has to work 11+ hours a day at this center, and on weekends as well. I really just want to ask her how those 4 years of college is working out for her. She said she hasn't seen her three kids at all since last weekend since they've been with her mother, and that she "should of stayed a sahm". No shit.

Why drown yourself in the debt of student loans just to not work in the field you went to school for and to get a crappy ass job you don't even like? Oh, and she's no single, her husband works at the same distribution center working less hours than she does and makes a lot more money. Plus they're living on a farm so their rent and most utilities are free, he just does manual labor on the weekends.

I just don't understand people.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this
Since when does medical assisting take 4 years to complete?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kristen0812
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:13 PM
She went to 4 years of school to be an MA? She got burnt.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:14 PM

She kept changing her major over and over again, finally settled on MA and finished, finally.

Quoting kristen0812:

She went to 4 years of school to be an MA? She got burnt.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM

She kept changing her major

Quoting owl0210:

CoolRelax
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting owl0210:

This, lol.  Was she in remedial medical assisting?  I could have sworn that was just a 2 year program.   

MariannLws
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Never make fun of someone who continued their education. Even if they are not working in the field they studied for.

3JuJu3
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Why can't she find a job as a MA?  It seems like an in-demand job, and If there's not many in her area, she should have done her research.  

sam12796
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM
6 moms liked this

She took a chance to better herself. She has the training and if she keeps on applying something may open up. You do not sound like a friend at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Haven't asked but I'm curious as well especially since she interned at the same office building for over a year, probably two.

Quoting 3JuJu3:

Why can't she find a job as a MA?  It seems like an in-demand job, and If there's not many in her area, she should have done her research.  

CoolRelax
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this

College helps, but it's not a guarantee.  Sounds like your friend made some questionable choices while she was in college if it took her 4 years to get a medical assisting degree.  And if she can't turn any of those internships into entry-level positions....she did something wrong on those internships as well.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)