Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

How's that education working out for you?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have a friend I occasionaly talk to on facebook. She just finished college, while interning the entire time in the field she was majoring in, and got a job last week at a clothing company distrabution center packing clothes for shipment. She went to school for medical assisting.  She has been constantly complaining about how she has to work 11+ hours a day at this center, and on weekends as well. I really just want to ask her how those 4 years of college is working out for her. She said she hasn't seen her three kids at all since last weekend since they've been with her mother, and that she "should of stayed a sahm". No shit.

Why drown yourself in the debt of student loans just to not work in the field you went to school for and to get a crappy ass job you don't even like? Oh, and she's no single, her husband works at the same distribution center working less hours than she does and makes a lot more money. Plus they're living on a farm so their rent and most utilities are free, he just does manual labor on the weekends.

I just don't understand people.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:10 PM
Replies (21-27):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't pay anything for my education at all. That's the perks of coming from a very poor family. Just apply for aids and stuff and everything gets paid for. God bless america! But don't worry I'm using all those free education to give back to society.

Quoting Elle.tea.22:

Medical assisting doesn't take 4 years, maybe she dilly dallied for the first 2.

Second, not everyone payed "top dollar" for their education. My 5 years at a fully credited engineering university cost me less than 10k. I had no student loans, I chose a career from a university I could afford. I know people who go study accounting at a big shot university for 30k a year when they could have done it instate at home for under 5k a year. See where I'm going with this? You don't need name brand university for everything! You know what is 30lk here? MED SCHOOL.

DragonInfinity
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Never make fun of someone who didn't continue their education. They may be working in the field you (general) studied for. js

Quoting MariannLws:

Never make fun of someone who continued their education. Even if they are not working in the field they studied for.

Only once we surrender to the Mystery can it reveal itself to us!!!

MissLoveLyfe
by ShellBell on Sep. 10, 2013 at 5:55 PM
My friend took a MA course that took 9 months to complete and found a job immediately upon completion. Where do you all live?
cali_gurl
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Her problem is she took the wrong job. I have gotten PLENTY of good jobs and even more interviews simply because I have a 4 year degree. I could not do the job I have now without a degree.
cali_gurl
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Me neither! I would not have the lifestyle I have now without either of them in my past. Gotta be smart about education and work choices though.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

I will never regret my degree or my student loans. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:13 PM

4 years for medical assisting? More like 10 months or less. Lol.

Some of those trade schools are crazy ripoffs. Weren't they supposed to help her find a job in her field? *eyeroll*

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:50 PM

It wasn't really a trade school it was a legit college. It's just that EVERYONE is going for MA these days.

She kept switching majors constantly, which is why it took her so long to actually finish school.

Quoting Anonymous:

4 years for medical assisting? More like 10 months or less. Lol.

Some of those trade schools are crazy ripoffs. Weren't they supposed to help her find a job in her field? *eyeroll*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)