Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Her elbow hurts but I doubt that it's doctor worthy

Posted by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:56 PM
  • 12 Replies

My 10 yo daughter has been complaining that her elbow hurts for a few days. She didn't fall or anything and there's no swelling or redness. I don't think she broke anything. I'm pretty sure it's from the added stress on her elbow from playing the french horn. She insists we need to go to the doctor, but I doubt they'll do anything for a mildly strained elbow. Am I right and should just give ice and ibuprofen as needed or should we make a big production and go to urgent care, spending hours and hours there only to be told there is nothing they can do?

by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jadedcynic
by Nerdalicious on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:35 PM

BUMP!

baquick
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:40 PM
What kind of pain? It could be the French horn but could be other stuff too.
jadedcynic
by Nerdalicious on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:43 PM

It hurts in the joint itself. I don't think it is that bad. She can be a bit of a drama queen at times. She'll forget about it and be fine for a while, then remember it and tell me it hurts. There is no swelling and it only hurts when she bends it.

Quoting baquick:

DesertDuck
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I'd see the doc if it continues, or at least call in. I had a problem from tennis (yes, literaly tennis elbow) and the doc advised me to wear a support. Helped a lot. Never had any redness or swelling, just pain like carpal tunnel.

Elayna90
by Gold Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:46 PM
This was my girst thought as well. Tennis elbow doesn't come exclusively from tennis. If it keeps up, take her to the doc.

Quoting DesertDuck:

I'd see the doc if it continues, or at least call in. I had a problem from tennis (yes, literaly tennis elbow) and the doc advised me to wear a support. Helped a lot. Never had any redness or swelling, just pain like carpal tunnel.

baquick
by Ruby Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:48 PM
The reason I asked is bc a friend barely hit her elbow on something once and totally forgot about it. Later she realized her elbow hurt and did the ice and ibuprofen thing for a couple days. After like a week of general pain, sometimes sharp, sometimes dull but generally just annoying she went to the doc. She hit her elbow just right to be wrong and hair line fractured the tip of her elbow. Took her a few days to even remember she had bumped it.

Personally, if the pain continues more than a week, I would go ahead and make an appointment. If anything she might get something a little stronger to help. Or maybe a brace. That's what I think my friend got.

Quoting jadedcynic:

It hurts in the joint itself. I don't think it is that bad. She can be a bit of a drama queen at times. She'll forget about it and be fine for a while, then remember it and tell me it hurts. There is no swelling and it only hurts when she bends it.

Quoting baquick:

mommyof2andTTC
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Tennis elbow? My husband plays the tuba and talks about how much his body got screwed up... his shoulders and he needs a knee replacement...

Eta: he's a music major and his primary instrument is the tuba. He has played since 9th grade and had to build up the muscles he needed to hold up the instrument. If she's in marching band they hold that instrument up for very long periods of time. She needs to gain the muscle. His knee replacement is needed because he fell in a hole with his tuba and his knee cap is floating around...

But I think your daughter is just feeling her muscle building
nova.mommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Can she freely move it? If so it is most likely nothing major.  But if she has been complaining for more than a day(and it sounds like it) I would take her to have someone look at it.  I don't know that I would go to urgent care, but I would call her doctor in the morning and take her in if they recommend it.  We have an HMO and they have an advice nurse line I could call 24 hours a day and a facility close by that offers 24 hour non-urgent care.

jadedcynic
by Nerdalicious on Sep. 10, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Yeah, she just started playing two weeks ago and has complained about how heavy it is. It is her left elbow, which if you are familiar with the french horn, is the arm you hold the horn with. She needs to hold up the french horn with her hand in the bell, elbow bent. I think it is the muscle strain that is hurting her.

Quoting mommyof2andTTC:

Tennis elbow? My husband plays the tuba and talks about how much his body got screwed up... his shoulders and he needs a knee replacement...

Eta: he's a music major and his primary instrument is the tuba. He has played since 9th grade and had to build up the muscles he needed to hold up the instrument. If she's in marching band they hold that instrument up for very long periods of time. She needs to gain the muscle. His knee replacement is needed because he fell in a hole with his tuba and his knee cap is floating around...

mommyof2andTTC
by Silver Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:05 PM
Its definately just sore from the holding... the muscle will build... ice and heat off and on every 20 minutes or so for 2 hours after practice... tylenol for pain... and just have her rest it if it gets too painful... remember to have her practice at home it will help to build the muscle

Quoting jadedcynic:

Yeah, she just started playing two weeks ago and has complained about how heavy it is. It is her left elbow, which if you are familiar with the french horn, is the arm you hold the horn with. She needs to hold up the french horn with her hand in the bell, elbow bent. I think it is the muscle strain that is hurting her.

Quoting mommyof2andTTC:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)